Sunday, November 19, 2006

wedding day regrets

I’ve never regretted the marriage to my husband. Ever. But there was a time I was really mad about the Mormon wedding. I didn’t regret a bit of the wedding at the time it occurred. It was certainly ideal for who I was at the time. Except for the sealer’s talk before hand: booorrrrriiiiinnnngggg! And If I’d paid any attention to the words of the sealing, I would have been bothered by it. But for a faithful Molly Mormon, it was perfect.

Looking back, though, I’m angry about some things.

Not all of my family and none of my friends could be there, some because they were too young, and some because they didn’t have temple recommends for whatever reason. I regret that I thought that was okay. It was their fault, I thought, for not getting their acts together enough to get their recommends. Now I wish I would have thought of a wedding as a truly family and community event.

The words of the sealing ceremony are frustrating. There’s no mention of the word “love,” for one. And the ceremony is sexist. I “gave myself” to my husband and he “received me.” The exact words to the man are, “receive her unto yourself to be your lawful and wedded wife.” And to the woman, “give yourself to him to be his lawful and wedded wife, and for him to be your lawful and wedded husband." I wonder if the wording is there as a vestige of polygamy. I gave myself to him, so I can’t be anyone else’s wife. But he just received me, didn’t give himself, so he’s free to receive other wives? Maybe it’s not about polygamy; it which case it’s just plain sexism.

I regret that we didn’t write our own vows, or at least influence them.

I regret that I was wearing a ridiculous costume during the ceremony, and not even wearing my wedding dress.

I regret that I didn’t walk down the aisle.

I regret that we didn’t plan our own wedding according to how we wanted it.

At one brief moment, I felt like we weren’t even married, I was so mad at the church. I didn’t recognize their authority anymore, so how was my marriage valid? Then I realized that thinking that way was letting the church have authority over me still. They weren’t the ones that decided we were really married. We married each other; we recognize it, and the state recognizes it. Who cares about the church?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kind of resent temple weddings too. I didn't get to see my two best friends or any of my siblings get married because I didn't have a temple recommend. It was like "you aren't good enough to come to these weddings" Even though I was living a TR worthy life I just didn't have the recommend to prove it. It's crazy!!

Anonymous said...

Ashes - I share your bitterness about the temple wedding, except for completely different reasons. I enjoyed the ceremony, and I was able to wear my temple dress. I didn't have a wedding reception, as felt it detracted from the temple ceremony. I was completely serious about the whole thing. Our sealer was great, and I thought his words were truly inspired. I was the last of my friends to get married (an old maid at 22), and anyone single had been on a mission. So everyone who was close to me was there.

As I look back on that day, I feel like my marriage was a complete joke. I have concluded that it doesn't matter where you get married, and I should have never married my ex. I got a "yes" when I prayed about marrying him, and a "yes" when I prayed about divorcing him. I'm tired about everyone's pat answer that he "had his free agency." What about mine? What about my "trusting the Lord with all my heart?"

Now I'm on the outside looking in. I'm tired of the pitied looks while I "babysit" all of the children while the worthy folk go inside to watch the "forever" ceremonies. Forever has become an ambiguous term for me.

Even though we're divorced, we are still sealed. I still feel married to him. True, I'm living 1,000 miles away, and my boyfriend lives with us... but I just can't see myself ever getting married again. My boyfriend checks out weddings at the Bellagio in Vegas all the time. The bouquets, the ceremonies, the packages... I just can't imagine it ever happening for me again, though if I did, it would be at the Bellagio, and I would have a completely different wedding the 2nd time around. My fear is that it wouldn't last. I couldn't go through it again.

All that giving and receiving can really destroy a girl's heart. Especially when the receiver decides to throw her away, and literally leave her for dead.

from the ashes said...

pokerspice- Jeesh. I can totally understand not wanting to get married again. And sealings are a strange thing, aren't they? I could go off, but it's make me too mad.

I haven't had to be a non-TR holder at a relative's wedding yet...but it'll come. And I'm not looking forward to it. Luckily, all my siblings got married before I had my awakening.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I am sorry to ask such naive questions but what is a recommend? It's a kind of ranking within the Mormon church?

from the ashes said...

Marrakech- sorry, I assume all my readers are Mormon or ex-Mormon, so I haven't explained a lot of insider terms.

A recommend refers to a temple recommend, and card one must have to enter a temple, where weddings and other high rites take place. One must pass two ecclesiastical interviews and answer correctly to both belief and action questions (such as Do you believe in the Mormon prophet; Do you follow the word of Wisdom [meaning do you drink alcohol, tea, or coffee, or use tobacco]?)