Tuesday, November 28, 2006

cultural Mormons and identity

On another label, I disagree with CL Hanson’s definition of cultural Mormon. (See her post. ) She says that every type of Mormon, from active to Jack to convert to apostate to ex-Mormon, is cultural Mormon. I disagree, perhaps because of my definition of culture. I think of culture as shared and transmitted language, behaviors, beliefs, morals, and use of physical objects. (There’s a lot of different definitions of culture, but that’s the one that sits in my mind.)

I wouldn’t call myself a cultural Mormon, because I don’t act like a Mormon (I don’t go to church, the temple, have family home evening, or follow the word of wisdom), believe like a Mormon (I don’t believe in the Godhead, that Smith was a prophet, that the Book of Mormon holds the complete Gospel), I don’t hold the same morals (I don’t think the only true family is mom, dad, and lots of kids; obedience is the first law of heaven; or that fidelity to the church is more important than to family), nor do I have the same physical objects (I don’t have pictures of BoM characters, Jesus, or temples; framed copies of the Proclamation on the Family, scripture totes, family home evening lesson manuals; I don’t eat funeral potatoes).

I’d more readily identify as ethnic Mormon, because of my Utah heritage. But what about ex/former/post Mormons, etc who don’t have Utah heritage? “Secular Mormon” is one option, in the vein of secular Jews; they acknowledge the heritage, celebrate the holidays, but don’t believe or practice.

While I’m ex-Mormon, I’m also of Mormon heritage. Leaving the church doesn’t erase all Mormon-ness from me, after all. I’ve still got BYU on my resume, my son’s still got Utah on his birth certificate, and almost all my grandparents for generations were Mormon (though I’m sure there were some Jacks in there). It’s still my history. It shaped a large part of who I am today. And while I’m a bit embarrassed about that, I don’t want to be embarrassed about it. If “Mormon” were more like “Jewish,” where it could encompass everyone from atheists to Hasidim, I might like to just say I’m Mormon. But it doesn’t, so I don’t.

So I’m of Mormon heritage, but non-practicing, non-believing. But that’s too unwieldy. Identity is never simple, though, is it? No one can identify with only one word. Everyone has multiple identities.

I am woman, wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt.

I am ex-Mormon, atheist, agnostic, secularist.

I am American, white, Caucasian.

I am student, employee, activist, writer, researcher.

I am black sheep, apostate, blasphemer.

I am explorer, thinker, blogger, journal-writer.

I am deconstructer, renovator, builder of my world views.

I am destroyed.

I am renewed.

I am emerging from the ashes.

9 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Great post. In the end, you are YOU. That's what's great.

Rebecca said...

I guess it really just, as you said, depends on how you view the word "cultural." I don't think of my heritage as Mormon, mainly just because I never identified with it or cared about it (my dad's side is Mormon from way back, my mom is the only in her family). I do, however, consider myself a cultural Mormon because I was raised with those ideas and beliefs, and in that way of life. It's my history - it's my culture. It's not what I believe or how I live NOW, but it is my background. So I guess I KIND OF view it like being culturally Jewish - I don't think of it as an ethnicity, but I do think I'm Mormon without being Mormon. That makes no sense and I'm totally rambling all about ME in your comments. I'm a narcissist.

from the ashes said...

I think perhaps our definitions of ethnicity and culture are switched. Which isn't a problem, considering those are just strange concepts anyway.

Sideon said...

Powerful post.

There is so much to the act of names and naming ourselves.

I agree with much of what you've said. I don't think that a history of Mormonism automatically grants an exclusively Mormon, cultural, background. I am so much more than Mormonism could/would ever let me be.

from the ashes said...

sideon- Amen. Mormonism didn't create us. It did shape us, but it didn't create us.

Anonymous said...

Yes. No one else can define who you are accurately. I left Mormonism at 29. My sister left at 17. I definitely had a much harder time leaving than she did. Although I grew up in Orem, Utah and was as culturally Mormon as a person can be, I'm not culturally Mormon now. Not much in my life now resembles my life then. It helps to be in a big East Coast city living with a guy who grew up with Atheist parents.

In addition, I relate to those who have been in cultish religions, like Scientology, more than I do to Jews. The practicing and secular Jewish people I know don't have the same kind of hang-ups as the Mormons or former Mormons I know. Mormonism has only been around for a short time and doesn't have a cultural history like Judaism. It also does a lot more brainwashing than Judaism. (Well, except for Hasidic Jews...but that's another story.)

Anyway, good for you for not letting others define you.

from the ashes said...

another former mormon- Welcome! if you come back and see the comment, please email me. fromtheashesblog at gmail dot com

C. L. Hanson said...

The funny thing is that I completely relate...

"Cultural Mormon" is the term I've hit upon for myself, but I understand if it doesn't exactly work for everybody...

There are so many terms and there's so much confusion -- is it even imaginable that all of us post-Mo? Cultural Mo? exmo? something-or-other-mo-or-no-mos? will ever find something that fits us all?

The Jewish model is exactly the one I've been influenced by, as I've mentioned in several posts. And the funny thing is that I've taken to frequenting the non-believer Jewish blogs in hopes of finding some relevant insights. ;-)

In some ways we Mo-whatevers have a people here as much as we have a religion. Yet I feel like in a fundamental way the lot of us are still in the analysis/redefining stage.

from the ashes said...

CL, you said "In some ways we Mo-whatevers have a people here as much as we have a religion. Yet I feel like in a fundamental way the lot of us are still in the analysis/redefining stage."

Mo-whatevers. How about that? I have had people in the past 3 days ask me where I'm from or where I went to school or both. And I wasn't even mortified when I told them. It was a tinge uncomfortable, but at least I didn't feel the overpowering urge to say "But I'm not Mormon!" Okay, so I told one of them that "Utah culture and I clash pretty bad."

afm- I understand identifying more with other cultish religions than with Judaism. Where I was making the commonality was with secular or reformed Judaism, and how that's an option in Judaism, but not really in Mormonism, because Mormons wouldn't accept us as Mormon. (Neither would orthodox Jews or Hasidic Jews accept seculars as really Jewsih, though.)