Sunday, November 26, 2006

exiting emotions: grief/loss

When I realized the church isn't The One True Church, I felt loss and grief.

I lost my world. I lost my direction. I lost my culture. My plan of salvation. I lost my moral compass. My afterlife. I lost a connection to my family. I lost my heritage. I lost all those people who had already died, and I thought I'd see again.

Perhaps most painfully, I lost Heavenly Father. He was gone. It was like he, along with some version of me, had died. Recognizing the active part I played in breaking down my faith, I even felt like I killed him. (I’ve never read Nietzsche, but I’ll get to it at least to understand this part of my self.)

When I was a believer, I felt I had a personal relationship with Heavenly Father. The moments that boosted my testimony most were times I felt like Heavenly Father loved me—me personally—and that he knew me personally and knew me well. My patriarchal blessing was especially tender to me because of that connection. Father’s blessings were also very important to my testimony and my felt connection to Heavenly Father. It seemed that in nearly every father’s blessing I received from my dad (at least a couple a year), Heavenly Father told me, though my father, that He loved me and knew me. Those statements always made me cry, and renewed my dedication to the church. (Now I appreciate them as my own father telling me how much he loves me.)

So to lose that, to destroy that relationship, to have Heavenly Father gone or even dead was immeasurably painful. I felt that loss keenly. It left a gaping hole in my life and in my heart. I had to grieve.

With time, I don't feel that so keenly now, but it was certainly very painful in the few months after leaving.

4 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Did you have a couple father's blessings per year right up until you lost your faith? If so, does your dad notice that you don't do this anymore?

from the ashes said...

I stopped getting father's blessings when I got married; my parents assumed I would then get blessings as needed from "my new priesthood head," my husband.

And my parents know about my disaffection, so lack of blessing requests were not a point for my parents to get suspicious from. (Is that what you were referring to?)

Anonymous said...

I'm still angry with Heavenly Father. I also feel betrayed with my Patriarchal Blessing. I was never promised that I would come forth "in the morning of the first ressurection." It always bothered me. Was I doomed from the start, then? Did the Lord know that all this would happen? If so, then why give me a "yes" to marry the ex in the first place? What's even worse, is our divorce really fits some stuff in his. That he would be able to provide for those he would be responsible for. What, meaning OUR FIVE, and the new wife's FOUR? His NINE children?

I can't make sense of any of it. There's no sorting through it, 38 years of programming. Ok, 35 years of programming, and the last 3 trying to figure out what the hell happened. It's easier to just say screw it, throw your hands up in the air, and walk away.

from the ashes said...

Poker- My patriarchal blessing never mentioned the "morning of first resurrection" either. That always really worried me. (I'll bet it's really worrying my parents now!) But that blessing came from no where higher than that man's ceiling.

I like to think that all that unconditional love H.F. promised me was really just coming from my father.