Saturday, November 11, 2006

covenant

At one point, when the church still had lots of power over me, I told my husband that I would keep the temple covenants I made, even if my beliefs about the church as the One True Church changed. Because I’d made a promise, and I have integrity enough to keep it!

Then one day I read to my son a children’s story set in Japan about a man who loved cherries. He looked forward to eating cherries for that week or so out of the year when his trees bore fruit. He generously shared his harvest with the local foxes. But one of the foxes was selfish, and schemed to trick the old man into covenanting all his trees to the fox. Eventually, the man found out he was tricked by the fox, and the fox asked for the man’s forgiveness. But the man still upheld his promise to the fox. Because a promise is a promise, after all.

I thought that was the most ridiculous reasoning on the part of the man. He had been tricked, and the repentant fox didn’t even want to hold him to the promise! Then I “likened the story unto me” and realized I was holding myself to a ridiculous covenant, too. I had made the covenants not even knowing beforehand what the covenants would be; there had been intense social pressure to go through with the covenants; and I was deceived into thinking that my entire salvation rested on the covenants.

Some TBMs are appalled to see ex-Mormons “breaking their covenants.”

But it’s not breaking covenants if the covenants simply dissolve, if they simply don’t mean anything anymore. Who had I even made the covenants with? The church? Heavenly Father? Neither held sway over me anymore. Therefore, I had made the covenants with no one but myself, and I could release myself from them.

(In the story, the fox does convince the old man to withdraw his promise, and everyone shares in the cherries once again. Cherries were shared. Smiles were smiled. Good times were had by all.)

8 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I can guarantee you the church will not be asking you for forgiveness as the fox did the old man!

Christy said...

So interesting. You're right, it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep your promise to someone when they didn't keep their promise to you. Or they lied about making a promise in the first place. I realized that the covenant was broken almost as soon as I realized that it was all a fraud.

from the ashes said...

Yeah, I'm just making excuses so I can show people those secret handshakes. ;)

Just one of many said...

I have delighted in breaking almost every covenant I've made...except for chastity...but we've added a whole arsenal of toys to our pleasure chest!! My husband smiles a lot more lately!
:)

from the ashes said...

JOoM- Why haven't I added you to my blog list yet? Sounds like you and hubbie are having some fun. If you've figured out how to incorporate the patriarchal grip into the bedroom, do tell. ;) Mwahahahaha.

Just one of many said...

It's probably the fact that my posts are lame due to the fact I am always trolling around other blogsites!! The patriarchal grip sounds intriguing!!!!

Rebecca said...

It's SO difficult to explain to TBMs why I don't consider what I'm doing WRONG, and how I am a moral person and not breaking the rules - I just have different rules and those old ones have no meaning to me. They really DO NOT GET IT, and still insist that I know what I'm doing is "wrong." HOW can otherwise intelligent people be so completely unable to grasp a SIMPLE CONCEPT!?!?!?! ARGH!

In other words, I know what you're saying.

from the ashes said...

Rebecca- They can't get that it's a different set of rules if they truly believe (or know!) that there _really_ is only one set of rules.

Driving on the left side of the road is illegal in the US. But go to the UK, and driving on the right side is illegal. Is one system better? No, they're just different. So driving is like the gospel because...