Sunday, December 10, 2006

split identity

I have two blogs. One, my family and some old friends read. Some of them know about my exit from the Mormon church, some of them don't. That blog is not the place I want anyone to find out. So I keep it superficial. Little updates on my life here and there, some pictures, but mostly it's a show-the-kid-off fest. My family gets a little glimpse into our lives and feel like they're keeping up somewhat.

But I hide so much. That's not me they're reading. It's a watered-down version. I like to talk about a lot of different subjects, religion, politics, history, books, international affairs that I just don't mention there. It's not the place; it would just make them uncomfortable. And most of that stuff just wouldn't interest them.

I also don't want to mention certain things that they would interpret with the TBM/apostate distortion lens. You know the one, where everything I do and think is recast with "She's a bitter apostate" or "She's lost, confused, and can't remember where to find the truth." And everything that happens to me is interpreted as either from the devil (because I'm an apostate and hence don't enjoy the protection of the Spirit) or from God (with the purpose of humbling me back into the church).

So instead of saying, "Hey, I'm having a hard time getting my son to obey me," I just pretend everything's hunky-dory. Can't have them thinking I'm struggling, can I? Instead of telling them the truth and asking for advise, I just tell the good stuff. Like it's my job to prove that ex-Mormons can be happy, too.

I've fallen right into the keeping-up-appearances Mormons are so good at. It's just good that life is pretty good right now, or else my two-facedness would be killing me.

My other blog is, of course, this one. Here, I'm open as I want to be about religion. All that stuff I can't and never will say to my family, I can say here. I'm free in that realm, and it feels good.

But there's plenty I don't write here, too. For the sake of anonymity, I don't write about some of the most pressing, personal aspects of family relations. What if they read it and recognize themselves? I don't write about work or what interests me in my career, because I feel it's too identifying. My interests and hobbies relate so much to my career that I can't talk about those either.

And it kind of leaves me split. I've got my superficial self, and I've got my ex-Mormon self. But what about me? I feel like there's not place for me to just be me.

I think this is more than just about blogging. It's about this recovering ex-Mormon doppelgaenger, split between two worlds, trying to figure out who I was and who I am. It's about finding a place where I am comfortable enough to just be myself. A time when I'm not always putting on this or that mask to fit the circumstances.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

That sucketh. Also, if your family is any kind of not-dumb, they can probably see that you're putting on a happy face, and they'll interpret that as "look how she has to try to CONVINCE us that she's happy, because she knows she's living the wrong way and really ISN'T happy." I don't want to be all, "Here's what you should do, because I am the Ultimate Expert on Everything." HOWEVER (yep, there it is - apparently I DO think I'm the Ultimate Expert on Everything), maybe you don't need to try so hard to hide. I mean sure, a LITTLE toning down might be good, but full on fake-ified? If they know you at all they'll see right through it. I just try to let my family see that I'm the same person I always was - I complain about my job and fight with my mom, and we just don't talk about church. And my uber-Mormon sisters? SO jealous of my life. Which I will admit I LOVE.

On the other hand, because I know that some family members (only the ones who aren't really MORMON Mormons) and friends (some of whom are MORMON Mormons) read my blog, I do tone things down. Because there are things I'm just not comfortable talking about when I know those people are listening in (although none of it is church-related). So like I'm one to talk.

Sorry about your cognitive dissonance (heeheehee! SUCH a cliched catchphrase!).

PS - the word verification is 'hidee.' I'm totally not kidding.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be nice to just lay it out there for real, all of you? I think that would be a nice feeling, somehow liberating.

SML

Floating in the Milk said...

I'm in the same boat. I have a family blog, that's basically just pictures of my kids, so I don't feel like I'm conciously hiding stuff - I don't really put deep thought about anything out there.

Then I have my Floating in the Milk blog, where I let it hang out a little more, but feel like I need to retain some sort of anonymity, or at least make the real me "un-googleable".

from the ashes said...

That's actually how I first felt a connection to you, floating.

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing, FTA. I've gone back and deleted things from damu boards, in case they were too revealing about my life. I also have a family-safe blog, but not a secret one (anymore...I deleted it). I'm not as paranoid about my family seeing nomo stuff as I am about anyone at work finding anything out about anything personal. I guess I traded one paternalistic, overbearing institution for another. :-/