Tuesday, December 19, 2006

holidays

Last December was my first holiday season as both an ex-Mormon and an ex-Christian. (A lot of Christians would say I never was a Christian, but I'll get into that debate another time. I believed in the divinity of Jesus. Then I didn't. For today, I'll consider that ex-Christian, though there are plenty of Christians who don't believe in his divinity. Anyway...) I was rather torn about celebrating Christmas, since to me the holiday meant "Jesus' birthday" as much as it did "gift-giving, family, Santa," etc.

I felt something of a loss, and wondered if Christmas could still be Christmas without belief in Jesus. I fidgeted about my nativity sets. I got a knot in my stomach when I heard Jesus-oriented Christmas songs on the radio. It just all felt so weird.

That December, I wrote

This is the first Christmas we have not believed in the divinity of Jesus--or even think of him as the best example of how to live our lives. So pulling out the decorations and finding not just one, but three nativity sets, was a bit conflicted. My son immediately recognized Baby Jesus. (How does he remember, anyway?)

For those of you who are not believing Christians anymore, how is the transition from Christmas as the Son of God's birthday to Christmas as a secular holiday?

So far, I'm appreciating it. Family, gift giving, parties, friends, break from school/work. But what do I do with Jesus? Excise him? Keep the nativity set and just teach my son the birth story as a story like the Three Bears? Be sure to attend a Hare Krishna festival when that comes around or read some Hanukkah and Kwanzaa books to balance it all out? Teach that we remember Jesus as a nice guy?


I ended up putting out one nativity set, because it has sentimental value, and I still appreciated the Jesus story as having heritage-value. My husband expressed his feelings about it by switching the nativity figures around, putting Jesus in the back one day, or having Joseph and Mary crouching over a donkey or a sheep instead of the manger. (Blasphemy, I know!) It annoyed me. I guess I still had a place in my heart for baby Jesus.

We celebrated it as a secular holiday in our hearts, but we were with extended, Mormon family, who celebrated by inviting ward members over and singing Christmas songs from the Mormon hymn book and reading the Luke 2 story. It made me kind of sick, especially since probably a third of those in attendance weren't believing Mormons (I didn't know their thoughts on Jesus).

It felt like the believers were demanding belief. And it was their house, so, fine, do what you want in your house. But what about being respectful to guests, accommodating them? It turned out the little program was right during my son's bedtime, and he wasn't feeling good, so I took the opportunity to be a good mother and take him in the other room for the duration. I returned once they were past the religious part and started just hanging out and appreciating the presence of family and friends. Which is the best part of holidays anyway.

7 comments:

Threads of the Divine said...

This is my first non believing Christmas. It really sucks. I feel like a kid that just found out Santa isn't real, but worse. There is something very real about the "Christmas Spirit" when you are a believer. Nothing really compares. I'm currently grieving the loss of that feeling. Instead of this being the best time of year, it seems that it's morphing into a mix of fun with family but emotional and spiritual pain. I'm guessing that as time passes it will get easier to just treat it like a "New Years Eve" type of holiday.

from the ashes said...

Simeon- It was pretty painful for me too. But this year is much better. I think it does get better with time. It also helps that we're having Christmas with just our little family of 3 this year. More on that tomorrow.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Interesting. I'm finding I feel a lot less Christmas spirit too, this being my first Christmas as a non-believer. But the traditions are strong with the kids and our nativity went up, and looks beautiful. I'm enjoying their joy, and that's what counts the most.

I look forward to more on that tomorrow.

Floating in the Milk said...

I still enjoy Christmas a lot. There are ample opportunities to give to others. This year we "adopted" a 14 year old girl at a foster care ranch in South Texas, and my 14 year old and I had a fabulous time shopping for her. It was wonderful to see my daughter catch the spirit of helping someone else.

We also have a Playmobil nativity scene. My kids look forward to it every year. We also read The Littlest Angel, which is a story about giving what matters most to you. I might not agree with every jot and tittle of these stories and traditions, but there's a lot of good you can find in them.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I read something, like this post, that makes me feel like I was never religious at all. Which I sort of already know. I mean, I never really believed in god and/or jesus anyhow, although I certainly tried to. Yet I've always loved christmas, and leaving mormonism didn't change that at all for me. I'm realizing I didn't really lose my religion b/c I didn't really have one. More like a set of traditions and customs or something. ??

While it's nice to be pretty sanguine about some things, it's also disconcerting to realize that while I don't fit with the mormons, I also don't *really* fit with the post/ex mormons either, or at least not the former TBM ones. And I often keep my feelings to myself amongst the ex/po mo crowd, just like I do amongst the mormons. Or at work. Or in mixed social settings.

I think of "heaven" as a place where it's TRULY okay to be yourself. I hope to get there some day... :-)

Okay, I went a completely different direction to the post...but happy christmas anyhow, FTA!!

m said...

I don't know if we did things differently in SA, but christmas was never a big deal. Just a day off to go surfing, which was our christmas tradition.

Santa, Jesus and all that never really figured into it, because as my stepmother said, Santa doesn't exist, and we all know that Jesus wasn't really born in December.

from the ashes said...

montchan-I stopped believing in Santa really young. I confessed to my parents that I didn't believe when I was 6. But the anticipation and fun was still there. And we always secretly "knew" that Jesus was born on April 6, anyway. Gag. Surfing sounds like a great Christmas day activity.

wry- Sorry I was so damn TBM. But I don't think you are even close to alone in the ex-mo crowd as someone who never really believed. All kinds are welcome here.

floating- I've loved shopping for my husband and kid this year, putting the wrapped present under the tree and leaving them to anticipate...