Monday, January 22, 2007

ritual and moving on

I wrote this last May:

I read a book called Women-Church. It briefly described the development of Christianity as a give-and-take between spirituality and institution, and argued that women need to nudge, push, shove, and subvert their way into changing religion and ritual to fit their needs better. Sometimes this involves leaving and creating your own community; sometimes this involves staying within the patriarchal community and enacting change from within.

One of the main facets of the book was to give alternative (less patriarchal and more women-friendly and non-gender specific) liturgies and rituals. It was obviously to a Christian audience who are used to high church. Rituals included things like welcoming of a new baby; signing with the promise of baptism; coming of age; puberty rites; moving out of the house; marriage; divorce; casting off the patriarchal, suppressive parts of church-institution; death, etc. It was very adaptable and could be used for any point in life that is significant.

Rituals mark events, open up new phases in life. On the other hand, life manages to create its own rituals. Whether or not you have a bar/bat mitzvah or graduate from primary, you still have a coming-of-age time. Whether or not you are baptized, you still achieve a conversion or de-conversion.

Without any formal ritual, I mark the events of my de-conversion--the first time I felt more comfortable on the Foyer than on NOM; the day I took off my garments; the last day I went to church; first alcohol; first sleeveless shirt; the day I told my family; the day I moved my garments in a big bag to the basement; the day I tossed that bag in the dumpster (one year after I first took them off).

And yet I still feel the need for ritual sometimes. For example, I want to go on a camping trip and light a big bonfire. I want to throw in my temple recommend and call out, "I reject the institution that tells me I can't worship." Then throw in a pair of garments and call out, "I reject a god that micromanages me, down to the clothes I wear." (But since I threw them all in the dumpster, I can't. It felt so anti-climatic.) Then throw in a Book of Mormon and call out, "I reject a religion that demands stupidity and unquestioned obedience." Then throw in a sheet of paper where I wrote the ways the church has hurt me and call out, "I reject the Mormon fta and open up a new phase in my life where I am in control to live, love, think, and play how I see fit."

And then strip down and go skinny dipping or something. I've never done that. It seems like it would be very liberating. I imagine I'd have to be quite drunk by that point.

But when it comes down to it, I'd probably feel really stupid doing all that, rather than liberated.

Have you done anything ritualistic or formal to mark the passage of the old, Mormon you to the new, better you? I'm sure handing in your resignation is one of those ways
, something I have yet to get around to.

6 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Never did anything ritualistic, but I'd give skinny dipping a try. Maybe we should organize a party of anyone interested in ritualistic skinny dipping to bid adieu to the old church. Wouldn't that be great? (I'm pretty sure I'd appreciate said ritual happening in the dead of night, since I think I look better in firelight vs. in broad daylight...)

Anonymous said...

I did ritually burn a lot of things, in a big bonfire in my backyard - in a large old can, the kind that homeless guys have fires in in the movies. I burned a lot of things and just watched it burn and cried, and laughed, and joked, and rejoiced. It was AWESOME.

I've skinny dipped a lot (love it), but not directly in relation to this bonfire (as water was not directly available there), but it seems like it would be a nice way to round it all out. :-)

I do recommend all of the above. Bearing in mind that one should keep the fire in control at all times. ;-)

Sister Mary Lisa said...

One should keep the FIRE in control vs. one's self, huh WC? :)

Just one of many said...

My dh and I popped open a bottle of champagne and toasted to our new life! We have agreed to do it every year...and not with the cheap stuff!!
Love skinny dipping!! I love the song by REM "Night Swimming". There is something liberating by shedding your clothes and letting the water wash all over you!! I felt the same way when I took my garments off!!

Liseysmom said...

When we got married, we had "Holiness to the Lord" engraved inside our wedding bands. Having that inscription still there really bothered me, so last year, for Valentine's Day, we bought new wedding bands.

Then we got re-married, in our living room, with our son as the Jedi of Honor and our daughter the Flower Princess. We just made up our own vows and wore our pajamas. Then we all got naked and "baptized" ourselves in the hot tub. It was fabulous!

from the ashes said...

So what you all are saying is "baptism by water and by the spirit"?

Oops! Sorry to make you gag.

Burning things sounds great; skinny dipping sounds great; re-marrying sounds great!