Sunday, January 21, 2007

a question of morals and ethics

Again, this is from something I wrote about a year ago.

Some of the problems I saw in the church (as found in a short-list in my post facts and faith) bothered me when I believed the church was true, some of them I only realized when I saw them in the light of a nonbeliever. But as a believer, I worked my way around them, justified them, or put them on the back burner, because I believed the church was true. They were not reasons I stopped believing. They are reasons I stopped attending, reasons why I won't go back as a "faithful nonbeliever."

I regret now that they were not reasons I challenged the truth of the church. I wish I had asked, "If the church does such destructive things, how can it truly be God's church?" I wish my own sense of rightness, my own moral compass, had helped me stop believing. I regret that I let my mind do gymnastics around racism, homophobia, polygyny and polyandry, and misogynistic attitudes. I am angry at myself for doing that.

But I will not apologize for the church any more; I will not make excuses and rationalize negative institutional, theological, and cultural ideas and behavior. I will not stand by the church and support it with my membership, tithing, or attendance. This isn't a lifestyle issue, this isn't an issue of not wanting to live by the restrictions (garments, church every Sunday, etc.); this is, for me, a question of morals and ethics.

2 comments:

MattMan said...

Right on, sistah!

The matter of morals and ethics is what ultimately tipped my hand for resignation, I think, as well as ditching the whole thing in the first place. The active unbeliever route just wasn't possible for me for this reason.

Rebecca said...

I feel the same way - WHY did I not ever question those things? I seriously feel total humiliation and embarrassment whenever I think about it. I guess better late than never??? I HOPE.