Monday, January 29, 2007

the beginning of the end

One of the key moments for me in my exit process was letting myself think, “I can’t give it a fair chance to be true if I don’t give it a fair chance to be false. Mormonism could be wrong.I don’t want it to be, but it could be. Where does the evidence point?” I’d read several books and articles on Mormonism before I came to that realization. But everything I had read I adjusted to fit into “the church is true” paradigm.

The first book I read after that realization was Grant Palmer’s An Insider’s View of Mormon Origins. That was the beginning of the end for me. Once I freed my mind to stop mutilating the evidence, it began to be painfully obvious that the historical record did not make Joseph Smith’s claims look remotely plausible.

Sometime after I read Grant Palmer's book, I wrote down some thoughts about it:

The chapter on the Golden Pot was stretching it a bit. I didn't agree with Palmer's conclusion that Joseph took his story of getting the plates directly from the Golden Pot. But a good "take-home-question" is that Joseph could have easily plagiarized from various sources. It was instructive for me to see how Joseph's story really isn't that original. But the rest of the book is better; that book was key for me to say, "Now, wait a minute, what's up with THAT?"

Big issues for me were the priesthood restoration, the Kinderhoek plates, the Book of Abraham, the First Vision, and the witnesses' testimonies. I hadn't ever read about these issues before. I really wanted to find out more about all of those things, to see if there was more evidence or more explanations out there. I've since read more on the Book of Abraham (By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus), but haven't read much more on the other subjects.

Palmer (or was it other books I read?) argues that some of Smith’s borrowing is blatant, with changes, like quotes from Isaiah in 2 Nephi, and from Matthew in 3 Nephi (the Sermon on the Mount, one-upmanship style). These are obvious to anyone who has read the Bible. The plagiarisms that are less obvious, only because we haven't also read the other books and sources, are stuff that could have come from or been inspired by View of the Hebrews by Ethan Smith (no relation), Spalding, Cowdery, and Rigdon, among others.

Palmer ultimately concludes that the Book of Mormon and Book of Abraham were written (with borrowing and a big imagination) by Joseph Smith. From what I've read, I agree. He does not conclude, though, that we have to "throw away" Mormonism because of that. Some people find there are great lessons in the books that people can learn, just as there are in the Bible, without actually believing that the people lived, the stories really happened, etc. Some people instead take it as a mythology, moral fables, etc.

(I’d rather not take away the lesson that it’s okay to chop someone’s head off because a voice told you to it, though. Or that you can know the truth of something by feeling good about it. Or that atheists are evil. Secret handshakes and all that, though—that is wacked out, just like the Book of Mormon says.)

8 comments:

Sideon said...

Your exit-process posts are wonderful. To be able to pin-point those "a-ha!" moments of discovery and convey those to whom may be reading is a great service. Maybe you'll reinforce what others have already found. Maybe you'll remind readers of what they've been through but had forgotten. Maybe you'll encourage someone the sliver of a possibility to ask "where does the evidence point?"

Be well.

Gunner said...

Palmer ultimately concludes that the Book of Mormon and Book of Abraham were written (with borrowing and a big imagination) by Joseph Smith. From what I've read, I agree. He does not conclude, though, that we have to "throw away" Mormonism because of that.

I cannot understand this view of the church at all. The church teaches and preaches an ABSOLUTE belief that they are the ONLY way, based on the BoM. so if the BoM is not what it claims to be, then the church is based upon lies(fiction).

If it is based on lies(fiction) then you cannot honestly submit to their rule and control. He did.

WHY!!!!

That mind set freaks me out. NOM(New Order Mormons) confuse the hell out of me even more.



sorry. In a grumpy mood today.

Anonymous said...

I recently very carefully broached the subject of Brigham Young's words in the Journal of Discourses regarding inter-racial marrigage (his line about such couples being instantly struck dead, specifically) to my dad and younger sister a week before she left on her mission. They said they'd never heard anything like that, and that I should be "very careful" of reading "anti-mormon literature". When I expressed that those were words straight from the JoD, they hemmed and hawed and said that "the enemies of the church" often liked to change history to suit themselves.

How do you talk to someone who is perfectly happy to believe their own polished version of history, but won't believe any other, no matter how well-documented or peer-reviewed? If my family is willing to ignore a source such as the Journal of Discourses, that could not *be* more wholly mormon, how can I hope to ever convince them that my concerns and disagreements with their religion have a sound basis in historical fact?

If you've ever experienced a similar situation, I would dearly love to have your insights. =/

from the ashes said...

sideon- Thanks. There are more such posts coming...Stay tuned.

gunner- I know what you mean. When I stopped believing, I was done. Period. The church encourages that all-or-nothing attitude. But there are those willing to live somewhere in between. The other day I was talking to a (nevermo) religion student about accepting the Bible and BoM as fiction, as moral lessons, mythology, etc. He answered, "Right, as scripture." That surprised me, because Mormons would never use the word "scripture" to describe that. To Mormons, "scripture" is Truth, but to him, and many other Christians, scripture is guidance. That's all.

cw- When they are ready, they will come. If they ever are ready. It's very frustrating, I know. You can tell someone all the facts you know about the church, but unless they are willing to accept them unbiasedly, they will warp what they hear to keep it in line with what they already think. I did. Until I was ready. I hope you have some success. I don't even try anymore.

Anonymous said...

gunner- I guess the question is who defines what the church teaches? If it's in a correlated manual, I don't always use it. Lot's of teachers approach things the same way. Speakers don't use correlated material, neither to Bishops. So, the Q15 may teach something, but that doesn't mean all of the members "teach" it. 95% of my church time is spent with a small, local group of friends, not the so-called correlation committee.

I'm not sure why one would reject fiction. People will read Tolstoy, Emerson, Homer, Shakespeare, and others for centuries to come. They will not read last year's phone book, although it's much more true. You could, in fact, assert that lies (fiction) are the best way to address the universal truths that science never can (the quale of human emotion).

Just some musings from a secular humanist...and NOM.

from the ashes said...

You have a good point, ujlapana. "What the church teaches" is difficult to pin down. There is a range of beliefs among Mormons. But I also think there are some "essentials" that, if you don't believe, you are a fringe member, you don't admit those beliefs in Sunday school, you would be called in by the bishop if you spoke them in Sacrament meeting, etc.

Trouble is, it would be a debate what exactly those essentials are. Temple recommend interview questions would be a good place to start, but even that is highly questionable, and only relatively recent.

I'm great with fiction. But the BoM isn't good fiction! Certainly not comparable to the great authors you listed above. Know what I mean?

Anonymous said...

What, you don't connect with the anxiety Helaman felt taking youth into peril? The loneliness of Moroni? Hmmm, me neither. It's got a few poetic passages, but on the whole it's weak--I agree. But the interesting thing is, it's been sculpted into much more by the culture that surrounds it. Smith may not have conveyed characters well, but hours of discussion in church have created that depth of empathy for many. It's almost like being part of an oral tradition. But believing it's real makes it more powerful, I'm sure; once you set that aside it's a little deflating to reread it.

from the ashes said...

"But believing it's real makes it more powerful, I'm sure; once you set that aside it's a little deflating to reread it."

I know what you mean. When I read about Columbus discovering the New World, I was so excited. That used to be my favorite chapter, because, Look! A prophecy fulfilled, right there!

Now? I'm disgusted at the theology in there that God sent Europeans to kill the "unrighteous Lamanites." Ugh.

The wonder tale of an immature mind, as BH Roberts said.