Friday, January 19, 2007

my word of wisdom "problem" out

I reported before about my trip to Utah to see my family, and how I got away with my preschool-age son not saying anything about alcohol. Turns out he wasn't so silent on the word of wisdom matter after all.

Back at home, we joked about how he didn't say anything. But then he piped up with, "Your mom thinks your stuuuupid!" My smile faded, because I knew exactly what he meant. I'd spoken before about how my mom would think drinking is just stupid.

"What do you mean? What did Grandma say?"

My son realized he'd said something wrong. "Nothing."

"When did you talk to Grandma about alcohol?"

"In the work room."

"What did she say?"

"Nothing," he lied.

"Come on, it doesn't matter. I don't care that you told Grandma, I just want to know what you told her."

He wouldn't budge.

Over the next couple days, I kept trying to catch him by surprise to get it out of him. He's just an innocent little boy, so I couldn't blame him for saying something to my mom, but what did he say? I had to know.

Finally, my husband weaseled it out of him when I was out of the room. According to my young son's memory ("I don't remember; it was last week."), this is what happened.

My son saw my mom drinking something out of a mug, a steaming hot drink.

"Is that coffee?" he asked innocently.

"I don't drink coffee," she said.

"My mom drinks coffee," he answered.

He won't tell me what my mom said in response.

Why do I care?

Actually, coffee isn't so bad. It's the alcohol I would care about. My grandpa was an alcoholic; my mom has good reason to hate alcohol. Coffee is just...enough to send me to hell. Whatever.

10 comments:

Sideon said...

I'll have one Splenda and some cream with that coffee from hell, please.

I'm thinking that a round of cookies, freshly brewed coffee, and a kitchen-full of Exmormons gathered around the table and counter sounds delightful right about now.

Rebecca said...

Oh, I'm in on the coffee and cookies. Mm, that sounds good on a day that looks like it might...possibly...be thinking of winter...

That's way funny that your son is so closed-mouthed about it. Deny him food until he tells you (childcare professional? Me? What?).

from the ashes said...

I'm in for the coffee, cookies, and ex-mos! That would be splenda ( :) how cheesy can I get?) to meet all of you IRL.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Good one, fta! Cheesy is real good. I'd love to be in on that cookie meeting.

MattMan said...

Count me in on the coffee & cookies! I'm easy, I don't even need condiments. I like my coffee untamed. :)

Threads of the Divine said...

At least the coffee will be nice and hot in hell. One cream one sugar please.

from the ashes said...

The funny thing is that my parents got us a hot cocoa maker for Christmas. "You like hot cocoa, right?" "Of course!"

To me, it seemed so innocent. I used to love gourmet hot chocolate, but now it seems like an overly sweet child's drink (unless there's a little schnapps in there).

So I use it to steam milk for lattes.

Lemon Blossom said...

FTA - I just love it when kids spill the beans! I was afraid this would happen if we went home for christmas as well (or if they talk on the phone), but fortunately we've been able to avoid that for now.

Enjoy your new milk steamer! :)

Anonymous said...

I find it very humorous, to be honest, that coffee is considered the route to hell. Coffee?? How benign can you get than sitting around drinking coffee, or tea? Coffee and tea are served in meetings and boardrooms in companies large and small throughout the world...if there was even the slightest chance that it was making employees less effective or "addicted," (whatever), it just wouldn't be there.

Dumb. Very dumb. WoW is dumb.

from the ashes said...

Yes, coffee is just coffee. Health scientists are finding health benefits, even. "Moderation in all things."