Thursday, February 15, 2007

two things

First, go check out the Carnival of the Veil, a biweekly collection of posts from Outer blogness. If you want to be added to the carnival (any post, any subject, as long as you're exmo), let Gunner know. It's a great way to get to know other bloggers and let others know you are there.

...........

Second, Zarathustra alerted me to a great quote by Nietzsche:

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too
high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

I have got to start reading Nietzsche. I get the feeling I'll like some of his ideas.

7 comments:

Lemon Blossom said...

FTA - I have read some of Nietzche and I will say this, make sure you are totally awake and have lots of time to think about what he is saying and why. Lots of good stuff and lots of weird stuff!

Anonymous said...

Hi FTA - I think you should talk to Todd/cumom (Todd's Hammer) - he is well-versed in Nietzche (and a super-dee-dooper guy too).

from the ashes said...

Thanks for the warning, lol. I had planned to read when I had a clear mind--and a couple books _about_ Nietzsche as well!

wry- I really admire Todd a lot. Just reading his posts tempt me to get a phd in sociology of religion. I'll certainly talk to him more when I get around to seriously considering that.

My friend Zarathustra is a philosopher of religion; we have many conversations late into the night about the ideas. Usually we're getting more and more drunk, though, so...

Rebecca said...

Every person I know who reads Nietzsche (and especially those who quote him) is a pretentious asshole. Now, it's entirely possible that they were assholes first and read Nietzsche second, but I'm just saying...

from the ashes said...

hahaha! Guess I'm an asshole.

And did you forget my grad degree? That definitely makes me an pretentious asshole.

Rebecca said...

Oh yeah! So you're, like, pretentious squared with two assholes! Or...something...

from the ashes said...

eewwww