Friday, February 23, 2007

initial visit

I went to a counselor for my initial screening visit.

Some thoughts:

I almost laughed out loud when, after I talked about being sad the past little while, the counselor tried to move slyly into the depression index without explicitly saying anything about it. I'm familiar with lots of different scales and indexes, the DSM-IV, etc.

I was more emotional than I imagined I would be. As much as I talk (and type) about my recovery process, you'd think I could just say, "I grew up Mormon, but I no longer believe. It was hard to have my world view shattered" without crying. But I couldn't.

I had a pretty damn good childhood. She asked about childhood, and really, other than the whole Mormon thing, and the fact that my mom had depression, there wasn't much to complain about.

I have a damn good relationship with my husband. She asked about that too, and I had nothing but good stuff to say. We disagree and fight yes, but we do it well.

I've already done a lot of self-reflection about my recovery. But there's a lot more to do, too.

There are certain things that bother me more than I let myself acknowledge. Otherwise, they wouldn't come up so much when I have a chance to let my mouth match my flow of consciousness, would they?

Both of my recent "it" moods were triggered by things that had nothing to do with Mormonism. They were emotional, but not Mormonism at all. But when the emotions came up, I thought about Mormonism. In other words, (negative?) emotions and recovery from Mormonism are all balled up into one big overwhelming ugliness for me right now. Or, because I'm full-swing in my recovery, I emotionally over-react to things that would've otherwise been more normal.

....

So now I have to wait to be set up with a regular counselor. Insurance, how their system works, and all that. It may take weeks. But at least I've made my way out of that awful "it" mood that lasted a week and a half. (Or maybe I'm just having a good day.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recovery of mind and peace is a pathway with many unexpected twists. I see a therapist weekly who guides me along the way without showing me a roadmap. Some days I wish she would just tell me what to do.
May your journey of recovery be filled with hope and happiness.

Anonymous said...

You raise a really good point, FTA, about emotionally overreacting to things you could normally take in stride. It is this precise tendency that usually sends me back to the therapist, when it gets out of hand. I figure, if it's not "like me" to behave a certain way, and I can't keep everything to myself (when I actually want to), my cup runneth o'er and I need some therapy (my other approaches to that situation, I already wrote about on cherry ;-). Good on you for recognising that a little assistance might be in order - it can only help! I have had those 'it' days too, too many of them can really sap the life out of you. No reason to live that way. Best of luck with it all, FTA. :-)

from the ashes said...

Welcome, fallen star. I'm sure that "figuring it out for yourself" is good for building character, but frustrating sometimes. Good luck. We'll see what my therapist's style is.

Thanks, wry. Like the new use of cup runneth o'er. :)

Liseysmom said...

Good for you fta! I remember being pretty together at my first visit to the therapist until she asked me, "so, why did you finally decide to come in for help?" And when I had to try to explain that I didn't want my children to remember having THAT MOM, I broke down and wept. Hopefully the therapist will be a good fit for you!

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I will be looking forward to my own therapy soon...thanks for the insight into how it could go down.

:) And thanks for the plug over on FLAK. Wow.

Carmen said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog. I hope the therapy helps. It's really hard sometimes to separate which issues come from Mormonism, and which are just regular old issues, because the church and its beliefs pervade everything.

I hope you can get everything straightened out. :)