Wednesday, February 14, 2007

a tour of DAMU message boards

Two of my blogger friends recently discovered FLAK, one of them having no idea that such a message board even existed. I've had three boards linked on my blog since the beginning, but obviously just being a good example isn't enough proselytizing.* So I'm going to share with all my friends the importance of the Gospel of DAMU. I just can't go another day knowing that some of friends are left out of the joy and happiness I gain from the DAMU boards. I testify that they are true, and you should not go another day without converting and embracing the truth. ;)

But only if it's your thing, of course.

Oh, and it is your thing, they can be addicting as crack (I've heard). Consider yourself warned.

New Order Mormons aka NOM
"A forum for those who have chosen to remain connected with the LDS church for personal reasons and in spite of church history or present practices. Those who wish to support these decisions are welcome to participate. Please refrain from arguing, personal criticism and recrimination. This area is for stories and suggestions on adapting and coping as a politic unbeliever in church culture."

I rarely visit this board anymore, but it was important to me in the process leading up to my exit. It helped me see that I am not alone in my questioning of and discontent with the church. And the board's tone is quite civil about the church; it doesn't allow slams on the leaders, names that some would find insulting, etc. During that time when I was still negotiating if I wanted to remain a part of the church, this was the best place for me. It's more of a "let's figure this out" place than a "I need to rant" place. Eventually, I just didn't connect as well with the style, and I moved on to...

The View from the Foyer aka "The Foyer" or "The Old Foyer"
"This forum is for those who are at various stages in the process of exploring beyond the official dogma of Mormonism. It is for those who doubt some, much, or all of current Church doctrine, and those who recognize that there are problematic aspects of early Church history. ...The rules are simple. Be polite and respectful of others' opinions. No smoking, spitting, or sexual harassment (except of the Administrators). Follow the Board Guidelines posted elsewhere on this website. Proselyting and politics are not allowed. Bring a healthy sense of humor, and whatever muse afflicts you. Occasional bouts of tomfoolery are not only allowed, but also encouraged. There is no penalty for loud laughter and light-mindedness at The Foyer. We cannot guarantee, however, that the Strengthening the Membership Committee is not listening in, so you may not want to get too awfully rowdy. Above all, have some fun and enjoy your interactions with others here, in a non-prescribed and non-judgmental atmosphere. "

Most people here are non-believers, in various stages of their processes of questioning, leaving, picking up the pieces, and readjusting to life without the church. This board helped me immeasurably during the months before and after I stopped attending. I count many of their number among my good friends, and have met many of them in person. I visit often, but not highly regularly, mostly because it has a slow pace. Which is good if you don't want to be too addicted. It's slow pace is because a board war a few months ago (I wasn't around during that time, so I couldn't even hope to explain), during which a new board was formed...

Further Light and Knowledge
FLAK "is for general discussion of your issues and experiences with Mormonism. Whether your view is from the literal foyer inside your local LDS chapel, a larger foyer of the world beyond Mormonism, a deistic or naturalistic foyer surrounded by the beauty of Nature, or some other metaphysical foyer, you're welcome here." (Didn't they take that directly from the old foyer?)

This board is basically the same as the foyer as far as what audience it draws. But it allows politics (in the counter-cultural hall only!), and is currently more fast-paced. Most people from the old Foyer picked up and moved over to FLAK, and many still visit both boards, sometimes under two different names. This board also has Outer Lightness, a feed of ex-Mormon's blogs.

There is also Recovery from Mormonism message board, aka RfM, which I don't link because I don't visit. I've been over there a couple times, but the style isn't for me. It's very fast paced, the messages don't archive, most posts are very short, they have strange rules (such as you can't post a link to your own blog or to another message board), and the interface is ugly. But for many, many people, this is the place for ex-mos. They also have a great archive of exit stories and several other links to various issues, topics, etc.

If you haven't already checked them out, please do, and see which one or two suit you. If you're already a part of Outer Blogness, you'll find many familiar faces--uh, I mean, avatars--on the boards.

*Proselyte is a noun meaning a person who converted, a convert. Proselytize is the verb, to convert. Missionaries have been using it wrong all these years. I only learned that when I took the GRE.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Huh - I had no idea about "proselyte" and "proselytize." Good to know.

C. L. Hanson said...

There's also exmo-social.

That one is a social board for former Mormons who aren't terribly interested in discussing Mormonism but just like to hang out with other exmos...

from the ashes said...

Oh, yeah, I've heard of exmo social, but haven't ever checked it out. I'll have too. There's also post-mormons, too, right?

C. L. Hanson said...

I haven't heard of a board called post-mormons, but I wouldn't be surprised if one exists. There are a lot of them, aren't there? :D

Sideon said...

It's hard enough to keep up with the blogging - I am putting my foot down about the Foyer and the bulletin boards.

I mean, at some point I have to get work done!

After I finish a few more posts.

from the ashes said...

sideon-Ah, but you just couldn't stay away, could you?

cl- I just googled post mormon, but I haven't had a chance to check it out:
http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/discussions/