Friday, June 01, 2007

What does ex-Mormon mean, Mom?

litte fta: What does ex-Mormon mean, Mom?
fta: An ex-Mormon is someone who used to be Mormon, but isn't anymore.
little fta: So we're ex-Mormons.
fta: Well, dad and I are ex-Mormons, but you're not an ex-Mormon, you're just a kid!
little fta: disappointed face
fta: Kids aren't old enough to be a religion, you were never Mormon.
little fta: But I went to church every week for a long time!
fta: Yeah, but you were never baptized.
little fta: What's that?
fta: It's a way of saying, "Okay, this person is part of our church now." Christians do it.
little fta: How come I wasn't baptized?
fta: You were too young. Mormons wait until the kids are eight. I think that's too young.
little fta: How come you were baptized?
fta: My parents think that's not too young. But I think it is too young. I think kids should just be kids, and they can choose a religion when they are grown-ups.
little fta: I'm not too young. I want to choose now. smiling facetiously
fta: You do?
little fta: Yeah, I want to be...wall.
fta: Really? I thought you wanted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your god.
little fta: No, not anymore. I don't want any gods.
fta: But how can you choose? You don't even know what all the religions are yet.
little fta: Yes I do! There's Christian. And wall.
fta: There's also Muslims, all sorts of Christians, Buddhists...
little fta: Dude-ist! What's Dude-ist?
fta: Buddhist, not Dude-ist.
little fta: Oh, like Buddha. What is that?
fta: Well, I don't know that much. But it's about giving up things you want, because those things only make you unhappy. That's what they think, so they try to stop wanting things. I think.
little fta: shoots at me with his watch, pointed like a gun
fta: Honey, no shooting.
little fta: It was just a water gun! See, just water!

6 comments:

Bishop Rick said...

I might start calling myself a dudeist.

Unknown said...

hiLARious! I think I want to be a dude-ist, too. Only I don't surf, and I feel like dude-ists should surf. Maybe I'll be wall. That sounds open-ended.

Anonymous said...

Wall... hmmm. That sounds intriguing. Please ask him what are the tenets of Wall.

Anonymous said...

I love little fta!! You'd better watch out next time we hang out, I might turn into a kidnapper. ;)

Wall sounds like a good religion to me.

Anonymous said...

too funny . . . I think being a dudeist is the best option .. . so long as your watch doubles as a water gun.

from the ashes said...

I will do my best to learn about the tenants of Wall from the master and in turn teach you all.

Go in Peace. Run into Walls. Paint away.