Wednesday, May 30, 2007

coming clean

In an attempt to ensure anonymity of my blog, I've mixed up some details sometimes. Most particularly, I refer to "kids" instead of "kid," and "work" instead of "school." The truth: I have only one kid. And I'm a full-time grad student, with a part time job. There. I said it.

I say this now because lately (as in, my most recent therapist session, which I haven't written about), all my split identities have been bothering me. I have my superficial family blog, and not once have I mentioned my split with the church. I have my fta blog, where I am honest about church stuff, but leave out personal stuff like the fact that I'm a student, and what specifically I'm studying and the subjects I'm interested in. There's stuff I still haven't talked about anywhere. There's no place where I'm totally me. As the therapist pointed out, I've very concerned about the boundaries of public and private, what can be said and what can't, what parts of me to hide and what to lay open for all to see. While my fta blog can get raw, honest, show my confusion, seemingly the deepest me, it is still contrived. I choose what to say and how to say it, and when.

I've been mulling this over in my head since Friday, drafting a post of "coming clean" about some of the details. I'd thought about revealing more, and revealing less. On Saturday I heard a segment on NPR about the public-ness of the internet. Children who have grown up with the internet have a totally different sense of privacy that older people do; to them, it's not a big deal to have pictures of yourself drunk and doing something stupid on the net. Also, once something is on the net, it's always there. You give up control of it. Anyone can see it, copy it, send it, modify it.

While I've felt a comforting sense of community in Outer Blogness, it also occurs to me that devout Mormons would think my blog is disgusting trash. This was pointed out to me by Arizona Awakening's fight with his wife when she discovered him reading my blog. I can't even imagine the devastation my family would feel if they connected the blog to me. Some part of me wants them to find it--to discover the real me. But even then, is it the real me? No. It's just the part of me that still wants to talk about how Mormonism affects my life every day. But some part of me feels there is no need for them to find that part of me. Why should they? It's private; why shouldn't I have parts of me that are private from them, separate from them?

I feel in some ways like I'm still a teenager, negotiating and pushing boundaries of identity, privacy, and self. As if I never really was a teenager, developmentally. As if this secret blog is something of my rebellion. I also realize I can hardly make up my mind about things. There's always "some part of me thinks this, but on the other hand..." I don't know why I do this. I think perhaps it's from a desire to present myself as objective, as having thought about multiple points of view. Like I'm a textbook, reporting all the information from various sources, rather than a scholarly book, making a point.

So what's my point? My identity is in flux. And I want to be more honest about it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to go back and forth on the whole privacy thing. Some people like Hellmut are totally open and even have their address on their emails. That's a little extreme.

Also, it's tough when you are in an area with relatively few Mormons. If we lived in Utah, you could reveal just about everything, and there would still be twenty different people you could be.

--NFlanders

Anonymous said...

When I started blogging about my deconversion, I made a somewhat conscious decision to just be open about who I am. Of course, I started blogging at the same time that I told my family, so I didn't have that to worry about. I didn't use a pseudonym. I used my full name. It stemmed from a loud-and-proud attitude that took hold of me at the time. It was very freeing.

from the ashes said...

ned- Yep, being not in Utah is part of it. There just can't be many exmos who study A at B University in C state.

jonathan- I like that idea. I am loud-and-proud IRL, actually. And my family does know, but I write things here that would bother them a great deal. It was either let them find it, but censor myself, or write what I feel and think and hide it. Either way has its drawbacks.

Anonymous said...

FTA, I hope you saw the reply to your comment on my blog. My wife generalizes anything against her beliefs in the church as anti, so my writing is anti as well.

I think we are all proud at some level about our apostasy, and we are all in very different situations. For me to blog with my real name presents a lot of issues. First is my family and not wanting to put myself out there for excommunication as we have already discussed. Then there are business considerations, I live in an area with a lot of Mormons and I like most of them on a personal business so I would not want them to "google" me and see I write "anti" material when I view it as my support and progression into my new life.

We walk a fine line when it comes to leaving the church and as we know, it's not a one size fits all situation.

PS: I love your blog I read it everyday.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

My identity is easily found if one looks on my blog for very long. I'm not shy about it. But...I don't blame you for keeping your identity secret as well. It's a bit easier, I think, for a man to be open about his identity. Women can't help having to worry about bad guys coming after them after dark, you know?

from the ashes said...

Az- No worries about your wife. I didn't take anything personally, nor do I hold anything against your wife. I, too, would have considered my blog "trash" a few years ago. :)

There are a lot of legit reasons to stay anon, family and work being big ones. I imagine I'll continue to post anonymously, as I'd rather keep my professional life and my hobby life separated. My DH reminds me, though, that it might be a good thing for potential future bosses or publishers to google me and find my ex-mo writings, given that I have BYU on my resume. Anywhere outside of Mormon-ville, BYU is a detriment to me, and having ex-mo writings might make bosses realize I'm not Mormon, and therefore, more employable. Since they can't ask about religion in an interview.

SML- I know where you live.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

*Grin* Come and get me, why don'tcha??

Sideon said...

The wonderful opportunity is to show the world all the different parts of you, instead of the lovely pre-packaged beliefs that family and friends thought or assumed...

It's kind of like coming out of the closet. Folks can take it or leave it. Their loss if they can't handle the truth.

Anonymous said...

Bizarre- I am a new reader. My sis just went through a major breakdown. I had mine earlier. Both of us are EX

Things all three of us have in common are
Feeling emotionally delayed- like teenagers
and the trouble with making decisions.

My sis and I both have ADD. For me I think it is a mechanism of wanting to forget. Forget sins, forget responsibilities, forget myself or who I might be.

I wonder if there is a larger list out there. Symptoms associated with Mormanism recovery.

I came clean this weekend too. I told my husband about the physical abuse that occured in my childhood home. I never allowed myself to be honest about it. Not even with myself. I actually denied it to my thearapist and I denied knowing about it to my older sis when she wanted to talk about it. All the while an out of the closet EX morman. I couldn't be honest about it.

I haven't spoken to my family since my lil sis crashed. I feel like I am waiting for the shit to hit the fan.

Isolation- definately a ex-morman symptom