Thursday, May 10, 2007

Mormons and depression podcast

All right, readers, now you get to be listeners, too. The voice of fta is now on the web. Head over to eight hour lunch to hear me podcast with Doug and Heidi.

We talk about, what else, depression and Mormonism. Specifically, we touch on the "Utah has the highest rate of antidepressant use" meme and empirical studies done among Mormons and depression, as well as suicide.

I haven't listened to it yet. I really don't like hearing my own voice recorded. And I don't have headphones at work, so I'll have to wait until I'm home tonight.


From eight hour lunch:

Inside the LDS Church and out, people seem to generally accept that Mormons have had more than their fair share of depression. And who can blame them? Utah women lead the nation in antidepressant use, and our young men are more likely to commit suicide than just about anywhere in the country.

But can Mormonism really make you depressed? For all of the studies and reports out there, the results seem, well—inconclusive. To find out more, Heidi and I spoke with the author of the blog Emerging From the Ashes. She’s taken an in-depth look at the studies that have been done, so you’d better have a listen (you uninformed piece of shit).

3 comments:

Lemon Blossom said...

Yay! Depression being such a big issue in my life right now, I can't wait to hear it. Wait I will, though. The sound card on my laptop is going hay-wire.

from the ashes said...

I still haven't listened...haven't had a chance yet.

Anonymous said...

Listened to the podcast today, and I really like how even handled you handed the subject. Like you I have heard a lot about Mormonism and depression, and I applaud you for really looking into this subject.