Tuesday, June 19, 2007

quest for coffee in Utah Valley

Preparing coffee at home would make our hosts uncomfortable. On our first morning in Utah Valley, we decided to spend some quality family time, just the three of us, on a search for coffee. Now, we happened to be in Provo at the time, so we knew out quest would be difficult and dangerous. My husband remembered a coffee shop he had visited last time he was here, many moons ago. We drove by the spot, not too far from BYU, but it seemed to have died.

Coffee drinkers: 0; Mormon culture: 1.

Next, we drove up the hill to Orem and remembered a Barnes and Noble with a Starbucks inside. Sweet. We ordered grande coffees, and chilled in the store reading stories to our son until we had our fill of caffeine. We could almost feel like we were back home. Except that the only other customers ordered hot chocolate and soda.

Coffee drinkers: 1; Mormon culture: 2.

That coffee moment in the bookstore lasted us a while, but on Father's Day, when everyone else was at church, I headed out to find a coffee for my husband. First, he googled "coffee and The-town-we're-in, Utah" and came up with one place. One. Googled Barnes and Noble to see if there was at least a Starbucks hiding in one. Closest one twenty minutes away.

Coffee drinkers: 1; Mormon culture: 3.

I went for the one place, a converted house, and got the last cup before the place closed up for the day. Good coffee, too.

Coffee drinkers: 2; Mormon culture: 3.

Any recommendations?

(I don't know how long it's been since I had an adult beverage.)

5 comments:

Sideon said...

The gas stations off I-15 have to have coffee! What self-respecting trucker wouldn't be hauling through Utah without coffee? Unless they're gonna stop before/after Utah Valley... in which case this does nothing for your quest for coffee.

Perhaps now would not be a good time to mention the party last Saturday in SF, the open bar, and the vast quantities that were partaken?

If you're in the Bay area this summer, I'll order a pitcher of margaritas on the rocks, with salt.

Anonymous said...

Person refuses to make cofee in their own home because it would make someone else uncomfortable. Coffee drinkers: 0; Mormon culture: 1.

from the ashes said...

Sid- Wouldn't it be sad if I had to resort to gas station coffee?

anon- No doubt. If it was my own home, I would make it. But it's not. I'm being hosted.

Sideon said...

Can we talk about alcohol again? :)

Rebecca said...

Hmmm, I guess this is probably too late, huh? But there's a great Starbucks on University Parkway right by University Mall. That's where I always went. Lots of people ordering actual coffee.