Saturday, June 09, 2007

impressions on returning to Utah

Driving in, I loved seeing the mountains again. Especially the ones in Utah Valley, the ones I saw every day growing up. They are so imposing, high and jagged, circumventing the whole valley. I oriented myself using those mountains; Y-mountain always to the east, a snow-capped, higher range behind and above it. Utah Lake is there, stretching across in the west, with the low, un-forested mountains beyond.

In childhood, I found comfort in being surrounded by their familiar ridges. My world was encased in that valley. Rarely did I venture north to Salt Lake or south to the wilds of southern Utah. Rarely did I go through the passes and canyons to other mountain valleys. My world was simply there, in that pink bubble, the cultural center of Mormonism. Now, the mountains seemed impossibly large, ready to fall over. I stared in awe at the folds and ripples of rock in the canyons, amazed that I never appreciated the millions and billions of years of geologic time, earthquakes, wind, and water that created that beauty.

As I drove down I-15, I saw indications of the Utah Mormon subculture. Five church steeples in view near one exit. New, impossibly large homes spreading across the western valley and up the foothills, farm land and orchards gone. Billboard after billboard garishly advertising luxury homes, Mormon movies, minivans and SUVs. Some were obviously advertising to the Mormon market, hitting up 8-children families to build bigger homes. They made me laugh, a slightly smirking laugh. It was so specific to this market, so Utah.

This is the home of my childhood, of college. I don't feel it is my home now, but still it has that familiarity, that comfort. At the same time, it is different. I am different. So much has changed.

So much has changed.

7 comments:

Sideon said...

You've changed. Utah's changed. For me, it is always hard to go back there. Favorite restaurants are gone, or I don't remember the streets or directions. Friends and family have grown and moved on or changed, too.

I remarked to a friend that I could see myself living back there one day and my friend said "you've GOT to be kidding." It was a momentary lapse of reasoning.

from the ashes said...

Yes, I'd say that was a lack of reasoning. I do know a guy I grew up with who is gay and still lives in the valley. I don't know how he handles it.

For your sanity, Sid, stay far, far away. Unless it's coming to visit me and SML. I know you're tempted.

Sideon said...

Quite tempted :)

Aren't you coming out to the West Coast any time soon?

from the ashes said...

Yes, soon. I'm totally looking you up, so beware. :)

Likely August.

Anonymous said...

Hey FTA, allow me to quote my own blog, home of my favorite quotes ;-):

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.

- Nelson Mandela

Anonymous said...

FTA: Hi! Enjoyed this post about returning to Utah and especially Utah Valley. I grew in Provo and went to high school in Orem. I now live on the East Coast, but whenever I return, I have similar feelings. The other thing that strikes me is how simple and naive life is in the Valley. And people are okay with that. Me, I'd go nuts. Anyway--good post!

from the ashes said...

Thanks, Pompous. Looks like we have quite a bit in common.