Thursday, June 28, 2007

a letter from the bishop

The letter from the bishop came the same day as the other letters. It was typed, and over one page single spaced. Reading almost made me want to write him back to explain things. His writing was sincere, if confused and firmly within the Mormon paradigm. I won't quote the letter here in full, but I'll summarize and editorialize.

He expressed sadness, and asked that if we were offended by him (what it is with people thinking people leave for being offended?!?) to let him know and forgive him--humans are fallible, the church is True. I disagree. Frankly, it had nothing to do with him at all. He didn't drive us away, and he couldn't have helped us stay.

He then mentioned free agency, saying God never forces us, so he's respecting our decision. Good man. He may think we're using our free agency poorly, but at least he didn't berate us about it.

I could tell he read our letter carefully (even though we didn't write it carefully), because he told us exactly in what circumstances he will break confidentiality on this matter (he'll tell the Elders quorum and Relief Society presidents to take us off their lists). My concern with confidentiality was that somehow my father would be notified (he is a stake president), but the bishop referred to our friends in the church, and hoped that we would be able to keep up those friendships. We had many acquaintances in the ward, most of whom we lost long ago, once the weekly social contacts were dropped. We did have a few real friends in the ward, most of them non-believers whom we still contact (hi!), and the rest NOMish or Cultural Hallish people (those who are "in the church but not of it").

He took time to thank us for our past contributions and service in callings. That was nice, though I regret all the tithing.

Then came the lecture about the Three Reasons People Leave the Church.

1) They are sinning.
2) They were offended and fail to forgive.
3) "They cannot reconcile the theories and philosophies of men that they embrace with the teachings of Christ as taught in the Church."

To his credit, he didn't accuse us of sinning, or try to guess which "philosophy of men" tricked us away. Instead, he wrote, "I believe that you are intellectually honest. However, not knowing your issues I won't attempt to persuade you to reconsider your actions..." He them encouraged us to write down our concerns and come back to the list in 10 or 20 years, and that by then, "the issues that bring you to request leaving the Church today will have been resolved and you will have satisfactory answers and enlightenment" enough that we may want to come back. (Or not.) When I read that, I joked, "Oh, the church will allow women the priesthood in the next couple decades!" Not that that was the only thing that pushed me to leave.

I thought, over all, the letter could have been much, much worse. I wasn't emotionally affected by the letter like I would have been in the past, when things were still raw. I wasn't mad that he wrote even though I asked him not to. I kind of appreciated it, and it almost made me want to explain some of the issues to him--to explain that these aren't issues that I will just forget about in 10 or 20 years. These aren't issues that the church will fix in the next little while, if ever.

7 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Wow. Sounds like an interesting letter to receive. Loved your comment about women and the priesthood. That one would be unfathomable to him, I bet. "Now why would you want to change such a great system, FTA??"

Eva said...

Hey there! One of the new GD teachers, also at a div school, studies why people leave churches; not just mormonism but that is his focus by default I think. He gave some percentage of people who leave because of some offence or not feeling loved. It was a majority, like 70-90% but I'll get back to you, because I was super tempted to raise my little hand and say, but how many just stop believing in Mormonism (God, JS, B of M, the fundamentals) or religion in general? But lo, we were out of time. (GD is not discussion group anyway.) So I'll ask him next time I see him.

Guess who the other GD teacher is? We'll see whether she gets frustrated or rewarded or is able to affect anything...this is a major experiment that others of her ilk, like RM (remember her?) is doing...

BTW this bishop's favorite hymn has the line God will never force the human mind. I think that though mostly TBM he does sincerely believe that.

(And I think that he would be among the first in his age group to champion women holding the priesthood...but I could just be delusionally optemistic.)

Anonymous said...

eva,

I won't dispute the GD teacher's percentages, but when you ask him, please ask him to define leaving a church. For example, is this defined by not attending a particular local congregation? When Mormons talk about leaving the church, they usually mean the global church. It's not as clear what others might mean. Would a Methodist who becomes offended and starts attending another Methodist congregation count as leaving a church?

All the same, it would be interesting to see some studies.

eric said...

I know we haven't said much in a long time, and I keep missing you when you visit the area, but I wanted to emerge from my bubble to give you congratulations on officially removing yourselves from the church - merely reaffirming what you've already done, sure, but showing strength and resolve in your beliefs (and disbeliefs) nonetheless. I applaud your actions, and wish you continued success.

Eric

Anonymous said...

Also, many protestants aren't necessarily rooted to one particular denomination- they see themselves as Christians and go to whatever congregation suits them.

So, if they stop attending a Methodist congregation and start going to a Presbyterian one, it's not really that they've Left The Methodist Church and Converted to Presbyterianism. They may simply see themselves as just being Christian or Protestant the whole time.

MagicCicero said...

The #3 reason the letter cited is interesting. In my case, I'd respond by saying that, on the contrary, I had a problem, many times, reconciling the church's teachings with ... its own teachings.

I mean, doesn't the church teach that the glory of God is intelligence, that we should learn by study as well as faith, that the spirit is a function of mind AND heart, etc. How does one reconcile those with the church's insistence on ignoring anything that doesn't comport with its own ever-shifting dogma?

from the ashes said...

SML- He'd probably think I'm tying to "steady the arc" instead of be patient with the Lord's time.

Eva-Hi! I didn't know you were still reading! I wish you would have had a chance to make that comment in GD; I think that honestly doesn't occur to a lot of people that some people just stop believing. Good luck with your effort to make changes from within the church. It takes guts. I'm glad to know there are people like you and RM still trying.

Jonathan & Kullervo- That's an important distinction, the definition of leaving in different churches. I can easily see someone leaving a Christian congregation for not feeling loved, since they can just choose another congregation. Not the same with Mormons.

eric- Thanks for stopping by. I am still in UT, if you want to meet. I believe we're quite close to you, in fact.

mc- great point!