Tuesday, June 26, 2007

it's official

As of May 22, 2007, we were no longer LDS--legally. Now, the church thinks so too. We got the letters in the mail yesterday.

June 12, 2007

Dear Sister FTA:

This letter is to notify you that, in accordance with your request, you are no longer a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Woohoo!

Should you desire to become a member of the Church in the future, the local bishop or branch president in your area will be happy to help you.

As if.

My husband got a matching letter in the same envelope. There was nothing for or about our son, though, which concerns us. Is he off the records too? Is the primary presidency still going to try to get him to church? He was the biggest reason we officially resigned, so to not have anything about him is worrying.

We got the letter sooner than we expected. The stake president, bishop, and Salt Lake received letters May 24 (delivery confirmation is a beautiful thing), so June 12 is pretty fast from what I hear. We just used the standard form letter from MormonNoMore. The one change I made was in the stake president's letter, in which I stated "waive the church's standard 30-day waiting period." This seemed to do the trick better than the "with no waiting periods" in the form letter. I know this made a difference, because the bishop also wrote us a letter in which he mentioned a call from the president regarding the waiting period waiver. I'll save the bishop-letter commentary for another post.

5 comments:

JulieAnn said...

Congratulations! You know they never take you off the records, don't you? Bwahh hahahaha!

(it's true, I believe it)

sneaky bastards.

from the ashes said...

Thanks, Julieann! Yeah, I know we're still on the records as "Evil Apostates," but that's better than being on the visiting teaching list. ;)

Sideon said...

Hmph. When I got my letter and pamphlet, I told myself that member or no member, I was still gonna be a dick every once in a while.

It's in my angelic and beauteous nature. I just can't help it.

Congrats to you, FTA :)

eric said...

Your son's records are tied into your own. If you requested his record "removed" with your own, they'll do just that.

Your records end up being placed in a particular ward number for apostates. If you attempt to sign up for the LDS.org web site (who knows why you would), you'll discover that your ward is not participating in the unit web site program.

What scared me was the fact that my parents - never, ever members of the church - had membership records and a ward assignment for (prospective) relative non-members. When I was a ward clerk I could query their membership records. The only reason they had their names was from my baptismal records.

Eric

from the ashes said...

eric- Well, that gives me some comfort. If little FTA ever gets an invitation from the primary, boy, I'll...

Sid- You go on and be your angelic self. We all love it.