Wednesday, August 15, 2007

prayer ritual

We don't pray before meals, as we were raised to do. But here in my in-laws house, they are sure to. Especially since we're here. They didn't do it very consistently when we were faithful Mormons, but now that we're Apostates, boy, do they ever. It's quite common to hear my mother-in-law say "Let's say the prayer now. Everyone fold your arms." or "We're saying the blessing on the food now. Everyone get ready." or "Shh, quiet, we're saying the prayer now."

I suppose they see it as setting a good example, though the effect on us isn't anything of the sort. It doesn't make me angry at all to be around their ritual, but it does make me angry when they try to push it on our son and his cousins (whose mother is Christian and father non-religious but Mormon by baptism).

Their mother, my sister-in-law (who knows about my blog and sometimes reads it--hi!), has never folded her arms to pray in her life; she's never seen it done that way in the variety of churches she's attended in her life. But since she lives so near our mother-in-law, and doesn't want to pick fights about everything, she's always just tolerated the "everybody fold your arms" thing with her kids. One day at a big family meal, her three-year-old interrupted his "reverent" arm-folding and head-bowing to tell me in a whisper to fold my arms, too. I said, "Nah." "Fold your arms!" he repeated. Again, I refused, with a smile. I related this story to his mom; she decided to start putting her foot down about it, too.

Now, I've decided my way to approach these prayers is to sit quietly, eyes open, arms unfolded. I do not say amen. I won't interfere with her ritual, but I won't participate either. It's the same way I've handled being at Islamic Friday prayers or Episcopal Eucharist; I watch, but I don't participate. I ask my son to be quiet, too, but I also won't have his grandparents telling him to fold his arms and participate. If they ever asked him directly, rather than the general "everybody fold your arms," I'd like to say, "That's your ritual, not ours. Don't ask my son to participate." When he's older and understands more what's going on, he can make a decision about it.

I think this weirded my in-laws out, especially at first, to not hear us say amen, to not see us unfold our arms and look up at the end of their prayer. I wondered if they'll even ask us why we don't participate. I would like to say something like, "I find it offensive to thank an unseen being for your food, when what went into getting this food on this table--the farmers, pickers, packers, truckers, grocers, you yourself as shopper and cook, as well as the earth, then sun, and the water--remain unacknowledged."

If I'd ever have the guts to say it.

Yesterday, though, it seemed like my mother-in-law is catching on. Instead of her usual universal call to prayer, she simply said, "I'm going to say a prayer now." I smiled. What a difference changing "we" to "I" and "the" to "a" made for me.

4 comments:

Travis Whitney said...

I've never been big on prayers although we say prayer before dinner and the kids say a prayer at bed-time. I haven't stopped the practice since my kids remind us if we don't do it voluntarily although I seldom bring it up myself. I'm not sure when I'll stop the practice altogether. Probably when my wife comes to the "dark side" with me. ;)

/paranoidfr33k

MagicCicero said...

FTA, I do about the same as you when I'm around prayin' folk. I don't bow my head, I don't close my eyes, I don't fold my arms, I certainly don't say "amen." I don't know that anyone notices, because they've got their eyes squeezed too tightly shut. The fact is, I haven't prayed since my epiphany. I couldn't bring myself to pray to a being I doubted, and later stopped believing in entirely. Even for show.

My wife, who's anxious not to rock any boats, especially with her family, does tend to go through the motions. Our daughter will mimic one or the other of us, depending on her own mood. A lot of the time, she and I will stare at each other during the prayer and try to force back giggles.

It really struck me about a year and a half ago, praying at Christmas Eve with the ILs, how ludicrous the whole thing seemed. Here we were, adults (except for DD) bowing our heads to talk to an invisible man, and taking it seriously! That was a kind of epiphany in itself.

Anonymous said...

baby steps . . .

but it looks like they're trainable.

Andy J. said...

I appreciate your whole experience around prayers. Prayer is a ritual and rituals are subtly powerful events which focus our attention and call down very strong feelings and attitudes. I am exploring ritual in study and practice and would like to join with others who have left mormonism to create a ritual to both express our feelings around our leaving and to gather the attention and attitudes that can both affirm the good of our past, the worthiness of our selves today and the strength and capacities to face the repressive disavowal of the prophets words. In short, to open up a field of affirmation, hope and support and a context for expressing our wounds and integrating them. To generate spiritual power and force necessary to meet the great repressive efforts of our prophet-- to meet his gatekeeping.