Friday, August 24, 2007

classics

Though I was always a good student and have always read a lot just for fun, I've realized lately just how many great books I've never touched. This includes many books that, had I read as the close-minded Mormon that I was, I would not have gotten nearly as much out of them as I could have.

When I did read "important" books and classics, I read them with barriers in my mind. I could have seen them for what they were, or what the authors hoped them to be. I could have gleaned lessons about life from them, or gained a better understanding of the variety of human experience. Instead, I reworked them in my head, either devaluing them for not having The Right Conception of God or judging characters for not acting Right. Or when characters found themselves living a false, trapped life and escaped, as in the young adult book, The Giver, I saw the false, emotionless, colorless life as The World and the freedom from it, Mormonism. I never once in the reading of that book, years ago, think, "Is my life like the boy's? Am I living in a contrived world? Is there something more out there?" I failed to ask the same questions with movies such as The Truman Show and The Matrix.

I've often wondered, of all the books I read as a devout Mormon, if I reread them now, I'd have a totally different perspective on them. Like Camus's The Stranger or the ancient The Tale of Genji. (And if I read them 20, 30, 40 years from now, I'll have a different perspective again.)

With that in mind, I have sought out some classics to read. Lately, I've read Maya Angelou and Robert Louis Stevenson. Currently, I have George Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984 in front of me.

Animal Farm is shocking so far, and even though it's a satire of communist Russia, I can't help but see some of the characters' thoughts as eerily similar to some I've had regarding Mormonism. I've playfully reworked some of the details in a couple quotes.

After a terrible blood-bath purge, Boxer, the hard-working horse says, "I do not understand it. I would not have believed that such things could happen on our farm. It must be due to some fault in ourselves. The solution, as I see it, is to work harder. From now onwards I shall get up a full hour earlier in the mornings” (p.52 in the edition linked above).

Another horse, Clover, muses over the same incident as Boxer.

“There was no thought of rebellion or disobedience in her mind. She knew that, even as things were, they were far better off than they had been in the days of Jones, and that before all else it was needful to prevent the return of the human beings. Whatever happened, she would remain faithful, work hard, carry out the orders that were given her, and accept the leadership of Napoleon” (p. 53).

Regarding the introduction of polygamy, or a cover-up of a child molestation, or the Mountain Meadows Massacre, a Mormon might have very similar thoughts:

"I do not understand it. I would not have believed that such things could happen on our church. It must be due to some fault in ourselves. The solution, as I see it, is to have more faith. From now onwards I shall get up a full hour earlier in the mornings to do scripture study.”

Another horse, Clover, muses over the same incident as Boxer.

“There was no thought of rebellion or disobedience in her mind. She knew that, even as things were, they were far better off than they had been in the days before she converted, and that before all else it was needful to prevent backsliding. Whatever happened, she would remain faithful, work hard, carry out the orders that were given her, and accept the leadership of The Prophet.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I really respect what Orwell did with Animal Farm, I think 1984 is a more profound book. It's that way because he analyzed the psychological of media manipulation and opinions regarding that moving target - truth.

Animal Farm, as you've pointed out takes on such an easy target. Authoritarianism. So many people (like Mormons) crave the leadership of authoritarian people, regimes, governments, churches that it empowers them . . . and we all know what happens with power and corruption.

Nicely done.

btw Aldous Huxley's essays are among my favorites when it comes to these topics.

Rebecca said...

I first read Animal Farm on a vacation - sometime in high school - and it's been one of my favorite books ever since. I actually never thought of applying its themes to Mormonism - nicely done.

And cv rick - you probably get this and you just didn't want to elaborate in your comment, but Animal Farm isn't just targeting authoritarianism -it's so much about how power is corrupting, and how those who fight against corruption can easily become the corrupt. And it's also a lot about how people are willing to turn a blind eye to awful things.

from the ashes said...

I felt Animal Farm was mostly about the animals who were deceived, and less about _how_ power corrupts those on top (the pigs). That's what I gleaned, anyway, since the story follows the other animals far more than the pigs. The non-understanding, the desire to work hard anyway, the ease with which they were deceived and altered their memories through some smooth-talking, their (sometimes willful) ignorance...very interesting.

I just finished 1984 five minutes ago...I really liked it. Frightening.

Gathuku said...

Oh, stand up *do a dance of joy*

*twirl and pirouette* Oh joy, oh, joy!

Someone other than this one solitary lonely Kaoru lover has actually read The Tale of Genji!!

*Oh, jump up and down!*

**Celebrate!!**

Mai said...

I must needs clarify. The above comment is from me. Ny parrot had just blogged and had neglected to sign out of her account.

I just now discovered this error. These things happen when you live with a megalomaniac bird.

But I really do love The Tale of Genji and don't know anyone else who has read it.