Friday, August 31, 2007

seminary

Time-release seminary. Junior year. Was it second period? Or fourth? (Eat your heart out, all you who had to endure early-morning seminary.) I even remember the teacher's name. He had a reputation for saying different things. We would qualify things he said behind his back with "The Gospel according to Brother P----."

He had these object lessons that he gave year after year.

In one of them, he circled a power cord, one of those big orange ones, on the floor to make an area big enough for one person to stand or sit in. He then asked one of the students to stand in it. Some boy volunteered. He then instructed the boy to promise not to step over it, or break it. He promised. Then the teacher offered a donut if he could get out of that circle without stepping over it or breaking it. The boy couldn't think of a way. He then offered all the money in his wallet, several bills, if he could do it. The boy could not.

My scheming mind, though, set to work as if it were a logic problem. According to his words, I couldn't step over the cord or break it. But he never said anything about touching it, did he? I figured I could lift the cord, and get out of the circle by stepping under it. That was definitely not restricted by the promise.

I mentioned it to the class, the teacher waved me off. That was not the point. The point was the promise. One year, he said, a kid stepped right out of that circle and grabbed the money. The Spirit immediately left the room, the teacher warned us.

He then explained what the lesson was about. It was based on BYU founder Karl Maeser's chalk line quote, the one displayed all over BYU campus. But I didn't know that at the time.

"I have been asked what I mean by 'word of honor.' I will tell you. Place me behind prison walls — walls of stone ever so high, ever so thick, reaching ever so far into ground — there is a possibility that in some way or another I may be able to escape; but stand me on the floor and draw a chalk line around me and have me give my word of honor never to cross it. Can I get out of that circle? No, never. I'd die first.”

So it was about keeping your word, and here I was taking it apart like a logic challenge. I wondered about my faith that day. I thought I'd done something wrong in approaching it as I did. Indicative of my future path, perhaps?

I'm glad now I did take the whole thing apart, and step under that cord, so to speak, with the help of logic.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved it when someone would draw a chalk circle right next to the statue of Karl Maeser on the BYU campus, but they would draw it with the statue just outside of the circle.

C. L. Hanson said...

The funny thing is that my first thought was to lift it up and go under it. No wonder I'm an exmo!!! ;^)

And thanks for reminding me of four years of waking up at five in the dead of winter for early morning seminary. ;^) But since I'm kind of a morning person, I guess I can't complain too much.

Regina Filangi said...

Ha, I never had to endure early morning seminary either.

I never would have figured that out. I need to exercise my brain more I guess.

Sideon said...

If the truth can set you free, then Karl Maeser is still in his chalk-line prison.

How sad.

Aren't these Mormons just the cutest things, evah?

Anonymous said...

You know, I like Measer's chalk parable. It's a good lesson in honor.

I don't see that it has any relevance in corrupt religious dogma or in an institution forcing unreasonable promises from kids with no understanding of what they're committing to, but

It's true in a way . . .

I rarely give my word of honor, or my promise, but to me that promise is more valuable than any contract or signature.

That stupid seminary teacher, though. Why in the world would he word the example like a puzzle instead of just starting with the promise? That's dumb . .. first thing I was thinking was how to get out without violating the letter of the law.

I once got up and gave the thought during seminary (I went to early morning and to time-release in different years). I said, "Love thy neighbor . . . . but don't get caught." They threw me out of class and called my dad. There was a beating, but it was worth it.

hm-uk said...

Urggh, I did three years of early morning seminary, all those Tuesday night meetings, Friday night socials, Saturday service projects and three hours on Sunday...I tell people this and they just about have a heart attack. What a waste of my time.

I know I'm supposed to be commenting on the power cord circle, but I just keep thinking of how much time I wasted with inane lessons that don't REALLY teach people about character, they just teach people anecdotes to repeat at a later date...sorry, if it sounds like I'm having a go at you.

from the ashes said...

I thought the quote was quite cool when I first heard it, but once I'd heard it and seen it dozens of time all over BYU campus, it got hold.

Giving one's word of honor, and keeping it, is a good and precious thing, doubtless. However, I think there are things one should reasonably let out of--like temple covenants. As the church's side of the covenants were bogus, and we made them without knowing at all what we getting into...

Sorry about the seminary stab, hm-uk. I was trying to be light-hearted there, no vindictive. I agree with you on seminary--a waste of time that gets you a plethora of anecdotes. That's all.

JulieAnn said...

A great post, FTA. I never took early morning--I was never that devout. Darn it. Looks like I missed out on some great life lessons. Or at least a cool blog anecdote! LOL

hm-uk said...

Sorry FTA,

It's not you, I promise. I am so bitter about some things - I think the fact that I value my time so much makes me pissed off that a church got, on average, 10 hours per week out of me is just so....grrr. Anyway, now I'm just dwelling on it. I'll stop now.

Rebecca said...

I always hated that chalk circle quote because I figured, hey, if someone captures and imprisons me I'll tell them whatever the hell they want to hear if they'll leave me alone in a stupid circle. It's totally ridiculous to tell people that it's a point of honor not to break your word if there's a good reason for it, or if it's given under duress.

Michael Carr - Veritas Literary said...

There's no honor in keeping a foolish promise, or one made based on false premises.