Thursday, August 23, 2007

the best and worst "Big M" lessons ever

Mormonism frowns severely upon The Big M, masturbation. (Let's see how that and yesterday's posts affect my keyword hits.) Mormonism also seems to think that it is a "problem" for only boys. Like I mentioned before, my Big M talk was from my bishop-father, "You don't need to worry about that." The worst Big M lesson ever. I imagine my brothers got slightly more in depth talks, but they were probably along the lines of "Don't. It's evil." 'Cause God gave you a penis, but He sure doesn't expect you to use it! As for the female body, I didn't know what was what until I learned about female circumcision in college. Yes, I was that innocent.

The best Big M talk, though, I saw on DVD last night. It was quick, extremely informative, straightforward, and as funny as hell. My husband and I were laughing hysterically. So if any of you have any pre-teen sons, but you can't figure out how to talk to them, leave it to the no-good, free-riding, brother-in-law character, Andy, from Weeds. Or at least take some tips from him.

(Explicit content. Obviously.)




Now if we could just get a female version of the talk.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HAVE to find time to watch that show. Great clip!

C. L. Hanson said...

I got the "girls don't need to worry about that" vibe as well, which has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantage was that I didn't get quite as many embarrassing questions in my personal interviews (which is a non-trivial plus, as I would have been beyond mortified!!!).

The disadvantage was that it was easier to convince me that it "wasn't normal" for girls, hence I was some sort of exceptional perv. You can get a bit of the flavor of what I'm talking about from this story.

from the ashes said...

True, they don't ask the girls questions to the extend that they ask boys. I understand the whole questioning varies quite a bit from bishop to bishop, too.

hm-uk said...

Heh, heh, heh. I told my bishops what I did anyway -- there's a bit of the exhibitionist in me!

Unknown said...

that is awesome! certainly better than my FIL's version of The Talk as administered to my poor husband, which went, "sometimes your boy-part will get big. don't touch it." i grew up in a secular home and got the whole 360 degrees of sex as soon as i asked, from the menstruation cycle to how gay men have sex. if i had a question, my parents answered it openly and honestly. if there's only one thing my parents got right, it's that. sex was never a mystery to me, and that was a very good thing.