Monday, August 20, 2007

personal

My sister (the one whose husband is disaffected) revealed to me over the weekend that she knows I resigned my membership from the church. Her husband, whom we had confided in, told her. No-secrets-among-spouses kind of thing, I guess. She said her only shock was that I hadn't done it sooner. Her email was quite nice, actually, saying she loves me and wants me to be happy, and if I'm happiest outside the church, then so be it.

She also thinks I should tell the rest of the family, and that their reactions would be similar to hers. Except Mom, who would totally freak out, but, hey, I'll be out of the country for a while, so she's have a chance to calm down.

When I told her husband we had resigned--he had asked--he encouraged me to tell my parents. They shouldn't find out from the tithing settlement print out where it will show that all my ordinances have disappeared. Which would be a cruel way to find out, really. So I figure, yeah, he's right, I should tell them myself.

And then I pushed it out of my mind. Until I got the email from my sister.

How do you tell someone that you've rejected everything they gave you to the point that you even cancel all rites and rituals? To me, they mean nothing, but to them, they are everything. They are salvation.

So why did I resign if that idea bothers me so much?

When I stopped believing, and when I decided the church did more harm than good for me and for others, I stopped attending. When I realized that all churches are man-made, the Mormon church became nothing but an institution to me. Not the giver of the Gospel, not the keeper of keys, not the Only Way to Heaven. It is just an institution, and a really crummy one at that. It discriminates against women, gays, ethnic minorities (even where those minorities are majorities); it's youth education program is nothing short of f--ked up; and it provides One Spiritual Path instead of helping people find their own spirituality--or decide they aren't the spiritual type. If any institution that did any one of those things asked me to give them money, time, or membership, I'd raise an eyebrow, then walk on. Not even worth my consideration. And the Mormon church does them all. Join that? Yeah, right. Not for me, thanks.

And here I am, having joined that institution under extreme familial and peer pressure at the tender age of eight, without knowing any of its problems. Without knowing anything about any other option. I could've said it was too insignificant to bother to resign, but I found I just couldn't have my name down as a member of that institution. I had to symbolically distance myself, break that last string attaching me.

But is that what I say to my family? Is it any of their business? I am torn between "this is personal" and "they would want to know." Is it my love for them that makes me feel that obligation to tell them? Or is it my Mormon mindset that makes personal spirituality public, that doesn't understand or respect boundaries, that is guilting me into telling?

And what is it that is making me not want to tell? Is it the idea that this is my own personal thing, and none of their business? Or is it fear? Guilt? Love? If I fall back on the "the relationship is the most important" mantra, where does that lead me? Keep it silent, don't hurt them? But will it hurt that much more if they find out from a tithing settlement?

7 comments:

Ujlapana said...

Well, considering that your mom probably sees this as akin to death (spiritually), it would be best to deliver the message personally, rather than at the hands of an impersonal publication. Culturally we expect a personalized and sensitive approach to sharing this type of bad news (armed forces deaths, police visiting after traffic deaths, etc.). If she's going to find out anyway (and, TS or not, the slow spread of information seems to have begun...) then I think disclosure becomes the best way to "value the relationship.". But I don't really know you or your mom, so my opinion's not all that important!

I'm not sure that parents get a copy of their adult kids' records though--is you BIL sure about that? You might ask your mom if she got them last year.

Anonymous said...

I you tell your Mom, it may help to show gratitude for the things that she gave you that you still value. Just a thought.

Travis Whitney said...

I agree with jonathan... if you tell her make sure you tell her how the things she taught you have helped you in your life and how important some of the "good" things in the church have been to you on your journey. They will find out eventually, but its best if you decide when, how, why and where it is done. Make sure that you are in control of the situation or the situation might get out of control. Hell, it might get out of control even if you are in control.

/paranoidfr33k

from the ashes said...

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, guys.

Excellent suggestion, Jonathan. Let her know I haven't rejected everything she values and taught me.

Rebecca said...

Am I missing something? Why would they get a copy of your tithing settlement? I'm almost positive my parents didn't get mine once I was an adult. Actually, I don't think they ever got one about me once I started going to settlement on my own. I could be wrong about that, though.

If they DO get a copy, I agree that it would be best to tell your family first. If they don't get a copy, then it's totally up to you whether they should know or not. I know that, when it comes to my family, my brothers and my dad would be fine with it, but my mom and my sisters would sincerely wish I'd never told them. For what that's worth.

from the ashes said...

rebecca- I didn't mean that my parents would get a copy of my tithing settlement. People only get their own. (Besides, I haven't paid tithing since 2004.)

What I'm going off here is the rumor (?) that on my parents' tithing settlement, there will be a list of all their children and the children's ordinance dates. As a resignee, my ordinances are canceled, and will show up on that tithing settlement slip (if it does at all) as UNK or ??.

Mai said...

I find your great love for your family touching. It moves me.

My Dad always taught us that on this planet in this life, we have two great treasures: our integrity and our family, in that order. However difficult it may be, the first must not be sacrificed for the second.

And I think - just my opinion - your mother needs to know the truth.

Another teaching we have is that truthful living is even better than truth. How you can live truthfully when hiding something so important? I know you are not Sikh, but I think this particular teaching can be applied by anyone.

I hope to read in your blog when you tell her.