Monday, October 01, 2007

tea

I sat at the kitchen table drinking some herbal tea. My son asked where I got the tea, and I told him my mom gave it to me.

"She drinks tea?" he asked incredulously.

"Yeah, herbal tea."

"Even though she believes in god?" he asked.

"Yes," I smiled, "even though she believes in god," I answered. "But, you know, most people who believe in god still drink tea. It's Mormons that don't drink tea."

"Oh," he answered. "So Grandma FTA is not Mormon? She drinks tea."

"Well, yes, she is Mormon. And she drinks certain kinds of tea. Like herbal tea."

"Why?" he wondered.

"She thinks herbal tea is okay, but not other kinds of tea. It's kind of weird."

"But my other grandma doesn't drink tea?"

"No, I don't think she does."

"Is she Mormon too?" he asked.

"Yes, she's Mormon too," I told him.

"They're both Mormon?" he marveled.

"Yes," I confirmed.

"You know what I was thinking?" he said.

"What?"

"If got caught in a tunnel like Curious George did," he said, "and they covered the holes with metal, I would use my lasers to blast a hole and get out. Wouldn't that be cool? If a laser came right out of my forehead?"

"Dude, that would be sooo cool."

5 comments:

MagicCicero said...

LOL! Kids have a way of putting things in perspective, don't they? My 5yo does the same thing a lot (and she's always changing the subject when I think I want to be all serious!).

hm-uk said...

I love your kid's logic. Lasers coming out of your forehead would be the coolest thing and wouldn't be as iffy as lasers coming out of your eyes, which might accidentally go off if you sneezed really hard and had to blink suddenly!

from the ashes said...

mc- Yes, it's funny how kids give you clues about when the conversation is over. Here you are thinking you have this great teaching moment, and the next thing you know you're talking about SpongeBob.

hm-uk- Good point about the eyes. I'll have to remember that for future laser games.

Mai said...

This takes me back. When my son was a little boy, our special time together was when I would comb and tie up his hair (he kept his kesh - unshorn hair)each morning. He would tell whatever was on his mind. Wild and wonderful things are in the mind of a five-year-old (my personal favourite age) boy. Well worth listening to. I'm glad you take the time. These moments are treasures. I'm not sure how old yours is. A little older, I think?

from the ashes said...

Isn't that age great? Their minds are amazing. My DS is five.