Tuesday, October 09, 2007

on parenting and religion

I frequently think about how to raise my son, since I was raised believing Mormon things and want him to have a broader, more critical and open mindset than I did. I recently had an email exchange with a fellow ex-Mormon mother about how we handle teaching our kids about religion. The following is from my emails:


"With regards to kids, it's difficult, isn't it? We want our son to be aware why we left Mormonism, but we also want him to be kind and respectful to our families. So far, we've done the bare minimum, like ask him to be quiet while family says dinner prayers. We've also explained why the family prays, and why we think that's, frankly, silly. Why say thank you to an invisible "god" when you know perfectly well that it was the earth, the sun, the water, the farmers, pickers, truckers, and grocers that brought us the food? Isn't it rude to forget them? He's also been really into science, which we encourage, because of the critical thinking it requires. He knows about Big Bang and evolution, so if he hears the Bible creation story, he'll recognize it as just a story. I think literature and art could have a similar effect, of broadening kids' mind to the varieties of human experience.

In all, we rarely talk to our son about religion, and we never take him to any church at all. We think he's just too young, and he doesn't like it anyway. We've never let family take him to church or activities, either, and we've asked them to avoid religious talk around him. If religion is idiotic and harmful--and I think it is, in many ways--I have no problem letting my son see that. I don't think religion and beliefs automatically deserve our respect and deference simply because they are religion and beliefs.

I didn't mean to say we protect him from religion, we just haven't had any interest in going to church right now, and he hates going, so we haven't bothered. He's had a lot of exposure to Islam abroad, the call the prayer, etc., and having friends who are Muslim, secular Jewish, devout Catholic, Mormon, etc. So religion does come up, and we discuss it with him. We talk about different people doing different things because of religions tradition--fasting at Ramadan, lighting candles at Hanukkah, wearing head scarves, etc. I also tell him stories from the Bible, so he'll be "Bible literate," but I tell them like they are mythology, just like Greek myths, African myths, Chinese myths, etc. I think it's very valuable to have that exposure. As he gets older, it will come up more, too, I'm sure."

I also want my son to be respectful of people, whether religious or not, and while he doesn't have to agree with their beliefs, he should be sympathetic to people. I'm still figuring out how to teach that--being both critical and sympathetic. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve that myself.

4 comments:

Ujlapana said...

A good post, overall. As a point of observation, referring to things as silly or idiotic does not lead to an "open mind" on those issues, or even respect. But I don't know anybody who really wants their kids to be completely open minded, really....

Liseysmom said...

We are trying to find the balance with our kids as well. It is extremely difficult but like you, I'm just figuring it out as we go I guess!!

MattMan said...

I'm currently reading a book that Agnostic Mom began giving a heads up about last year, called Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion. I'm still working on it, but so far it's been excellent. A wide variety of ideas and ideologies from a wide variety of authors. I found the book at my library to give it an evaluation read. At this point, it's on my "definitely buy for permanent library" list.

Just so you know you aren't alone. I'm struggling with this myself, especially since I have the double whammy of trying to combat the uber-TBM stbx's (soon-to-be-ex) indoctrination when they aren't with me.

from the ashes said...

ujlapana- You got me there. For the record, I don't use "silly" or "idiotic" to my son. Still, if I have that attitude, he'll pick up on it. Like I said, I'm still figuring out what I feel about religion. And I think you're right; we really aren't prepared for our children to have completely open minds. I would be upset if he joined a literatist religion. But I have to remember that would be his choice.

liseysmom- I guess a lot of parenting is figuring it out as we go, huh?

mattman- I have that book, and have started to read it. It's great so far, both for the advice and ideas, and for the feeling that I'm not alone in this.