Monday, October 22, 2007

carded

When I go out to get a couple drinks, I get carded. More so than other people. Maybe it's my innocent-looking, ethnically Mormon face (supposing there is such a thing). Maybe it's my younger-than-I-actually-am look I inherited from my mom. Seriously, she looks young. We have this family picture from years ago, and if you look at her face alone, you could easily guess she was 15. Except that she's surrounded by five kids.

Once when I walked into a bar to meet a couple girlfriends, I got carded at the door. Then when I ordered my drink at the table, I got, "Um, I'm going to need to see some ID from you." I thought nothing of it, and handed over my card. When the waitress left, though, my girlfriends immediately started teasingly protesting. They hadn't gotten carded at all! And one of them was four years younger than me.

The other day, I got carded again at an Oktoberfest. The gray-haired woman checking IDs looked at my card, then at me, at the card again, then back at me. She smiled and said, "Honey, you're going to be getting carded until you're 50!" I laughed, sure I don't want to look 20 when I'm 50.

There is a situation in which I am never carded, though. If I got out to dinner with my family--my husband, my son, and me--and order a drink, the staff never bothers to card me. I guess they figure someone with a five-year-old kid is old enough to have a drink. Hell, anyone with a five-year-old kid needs a drink.

7 comments:

Mai said...

'I don't want to look 20 when I'm 50.' As someone who is 55 and looks it, I just say, wait until you're 50. But heck, I got carded when I was 32, and I didn't even drink alcohol. Now I would kiss - with great sincerity - anyone who carded me.

Aerin said...

At 31 - I still love being carded. Because I've reached the point where I don't always get carded. It's a nice treat and I always thank the person. BTW - when I was a waitress, I was FAMOUS for carding people who didn't need to be. Once I carded a woman in her forties (it was dark and she had long hair!).

Sideon said...

You're beautiful - enjoy being carded. I've been an "old man" for so long that I'd fall over dead if someone did ask for my ID.

Unknown said...

"Hell, anyone with a five-year-old kid needs a drink."
AMEN sistah!

MattMan said...

I get carded at WalMart when I buy beer. Does that count?

Sideon, if you want to get carded, go buy some alcohol at WalMart. ;)

from the ashes said...

You all are too funny.

Anonymous said...

I never thought of myself as particularly young looking before I started going out to drink, although my mom is very very young looking.

I get carded more than my fair share though. I get carded for R rated movies, too. That's just kind of ridiculous. A few times over the last few months people have thought I'm around fourteen. HA. If I'd had these boobs at 14!...