Wednesday, October 24, 2007

free speech in Mormonism

I haven't commented on Julie Beck's recent LDS General Conference talk that told women that homemaking, nurturing, and house chores are their highest calling. Aspiring to have a life outside the home is apparently ungoddess-like, and while I, as a faithful Mormon, aspired anyway, I always felt very conflicted about it. It wasn't until I was out of Mormonism that I was actually comfortable with pursuing my master's degree with the idea that I'd actually get a full-time job afterward.

Anyway, many Mormon people in various stages of faith and non-belief have spoken up about Beck's talk since that first weekend in October. Since then, Boyd Packer, one of the church's highest leaders, has made comments that appear to chastise the women and men who have criticized the seemingly 1950's-era talk. Packer quoted a scripture that basically called the critics (both faithful and exmo) "children of disobedience" and "servants of sin." (The scripture's context appears to me to be regarding people accusing Joseph of polygamy, but never mind that for now.)

Hellmut over at Main Street Plaza has written a more extensive post than I have, and I want to bring attention to it. Every Mormon, faithful, doubting, ex-, or post- should have the right to speak freely, even if that means criticizing leaders, their opinions, policies, and doctrine. Period.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sIf an organization, religioud or otherwise, can't stand up to scrutiny and criticism, or is so scared of it it tries to ban it, then there is something fundamentally fishy about it in my mind. Makes me think of the Berlin Wall: if you need to build a fence to keep people in, maybe there is something wrong with the place they are trying to get out of ...hmmmmm????

Sideon said...

It's hard for me to understand the outcry over Beck's talk. Really. Why are people surprised? To think that Mormonism somehow started respecting and celebrating women is the result of one too many slick and snarky commercials. The Morg is stuck in the 1950's. They will not, cannot, ever be a 'modern' faith, because it would undermine their own foundation built on the rich, whitesome and delightsome penis-hood.

For the record, I hope Packer gets something red and itchy.

from the ashes said...

I think you're right, Sideon, that people shouldn't be surprised. The greatest criticisms, from what I saw, are from the liberal, feminist Mormons who felt that they were creating a niche for themselves--being faithful Mormon and feminist and fullfilled all at the same time. This talk said, "Nope, ain't happening."