Friday, September 28, 2007

tattoo

Since I was raised to abhor tattoos and believe they were a slap in the face to god, who, after all, gave me my body as a temple to keep holy and pure, I never thought about tattoos for myself until I left Mormonism. Once I had the true chance to think for myself on the matter, I realized it just ain't none of anyone's damn business but my own whether or not I get a tattoo, or enough of them to cover my whole body. I realize, still, it can affect people's perceptions of me, and this could affect personal relationships as well as career situations. Which is dumb, but a fact of life.

I still didn't get tattoos, though, and wondered how people could choose a design they would like the rest of their lives. Or how they deal with tattoos they learned to dislike or will be embarrassed about later (like the one I saw on a young father's chest: Money over Bitches). Or why someone would even want to put permanent art on their bodies. I started watching Miami Ink now and then, as often as I could beat my husband out of the remote control because it was on the same time as the reality show about climbing Everest. I watched Miami Ink and listened to the people's stories. There was always a story behind the tattoo--a death of a beloved relative, an overcoming of a destructive drug habit, a birth of a new child, a success in career, the turning of a new leaf. These tattoos meant something personal, something beautiful. They marked an important part of their bearers' lives, and served as constant memento to that. For others, tattoos are a celebration of the body, of self, using the body as art, a canvas. Now I understood.

I've often thought about getting a tattoo of a phoenix, complete with fire still burning. It would show my rebirth from Mormonism, with the burning and destruction a necessary part of that rebirth. But I have yet decided upon a design I like, or decided to spend the money to hire a tattoo artist to design one. Maybe I'll get around to it, and maybe I'll decide I don't want one. Perhaps I'm a little reluctant to have people (read: Mormon relatives) see me with a tattoo. Perhaps I would regret it. I don't know. And since I don't know yet, I'll wait. I have had extensive henna tattoos and loved, loved, loved it. But perhaps my ability to love them was their impermanence. I'm not sure.

One funny thing about Mormonism and tattoos is that the proscription has extended to temporary tattoos. You know, the kind you get in grocery store quarter machines, the wet-and-stick, kid ones. I got one once when I was dating my now-husband, and put it on my belly, lower and to the left of my belly button. My mom caught a glimpse of it and flipped out. Never mind that it was temporary. Never mind that I was nineteen. She lectured about body-is-a-temple and tattoos-laced-with-LSD and avoiding-the-appearance-of-evil. And I rolled my eyes, as any nineteen-year-old would do.

I've continued to have fun with temporary tattoos since then, and enjoy buying them for my son, too. He loves them, too, but is scared of "needle tattoos" because "that would hurt" and "they stay on forever and ever until your body breaks up into tiny bits and returns to the earth." His opinion of tattoos he's formed entirely by himself, as far as I can tell, but because we certainly haven't said anything to knock them and admire them on people when we see them. And I'm proud of him for having his own mind on the matter. I imagine he'll change his mind when he's older and not as afraid of needles, but either way is fine with me.

So when my mother-in-law accidentally bought all her grandsons some temporary tattoos, which she thought were stickers, we stuck them on my son's arms, exactly where he wanted them. Around the same time, I found some tattoos I had bought a couple months ago, and my son wanted those on his arms too. Pretty soon, he had a full sleeve of temporary tattoos.

The adults all thought it was a great irony that Mormon Grandma had bought the tattoos, even on accident, and we weren't going to let her take them back. My mother-in-law, as soon as she discovered her mistake, freaked out, and tried to dispose of the other grandsons' packets of tattoos. I rescued them, knowing that the other grandsons would like their present as much as my son did. She keeps making comments wondering when those things will come off, and if she could bathe our son tonight so she could scrub his arms clean. We keep telling her not to worry about it, he loves them, but she keeps pushing. Why? She's afraid that this youthful episode will "get him used to having tattoos now, and what if that makes him want a real one later?"

She didn't express this fear to me, or else I wouldn't have given her an earful. One, the connection between temporary now and permanent then is silly. Two, so what if he wants one later? If he wants one, then he'll get one. Hell, if it bothers you that much, I'll go get one at the same time he does! Three, if you'd just bother to ask him yourself, he'd tell you he only likes temporary ones. Four, remember that your other daughter-in-law has tattoos? And would love it if her sons decide to get inked when they are older? Five, it just ain't none of your damn business.

11 comments:

Nomoxian said...

There's lots of places you can get tattooed that would be easily covered (especially by LDS dress standards) If you do get ink, take your own advice to heart - "it just ain't none of [their] damn business"

Take it from someone with tattoos - You're probably not going to get 'just one' :) Though that doesn't mean you have to (or should) rush out and pick something random off the wall... I like the stories that usually go along with well-planned designs, and usually the tattoo looks better as well.

Mai said...

It might be of interest that we Sikhs also believe in not modifying our bodies, but we go a lot further than Mormons. Not only no tattoos, but no piercings (including ears) and no haircuts or shaving. Of course, many Sikhs don't follow these rules. We, however, believe that God is without anger or hatred or hurt feelings. It is not an insult to God; it is showing our own foolishness to believe that we can improve on God's design and it is also disrespectful to our Gurus, especially Guru Gobind Singh Ji. But no Sikh I know objects if other people do modify their bodies.

Now, one of Mai's Mormon questions: On Dancing With The Stars, I can't think of any way that Marie Osmond could be wearing a temple garment under that dress she was wearing. Question: do Mormons not wear the garment, or modify it in some way, when it is convenient? I mean, Marie could have worn a dress that did cover the garment. Or has she fallen out of favour with the church and is telling them to stick it(unlikely)?

from the ashes said...

nomoxian- Welcome! Yes, there are lots of places I could get tattooed, such as on my torso, that most people would never see. That's where most of my henna tattoos were, and I loved that they were hidden. It was like I was walking around with a great big secret sexiness and no one knew it but me. Delicious.

mai- I have felt a similar attitude to Sikhs in thinking that god made me this way for a reason and I should just appreciate it--I have never died my hair, for example. I didn't even get my ears pierced until this year. I rarely wear make-up. But now I think it's personal; and I find I'm just not into that stuff much anyway. god or no god.

About Marie Osmond...Many Mormons will make minor exceptions to garment-wearing. Steven Young, for example, has admitted he doesn't wear his on the football field. Mormons have no problem swimming in regular swimming suits; many Mormons will not wear garments while playing sports or working out (I always did wear them). Special green-tinted garments are made for soldiers.

Most Mormons would NOT make an exception, though, for a fancy dress. My sisters made prom dresses rather than wear "immodest" ones, even though they weren't even garment-wearers yet. The likes of Marie Osmond and Steve Young can get away with more, though, and not get in "trouble," because they are celebrity Mormons and bring publicity to the church (IMHO).

Sideon said...

I have a tattoo. I spent several years deciding what I wanted, going so far as doing henna or even sketches with permanent marker (which fades, obviously). Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Do some people freak out? Sure - but as a dear friend (who has multiple tattoos) says: "my body, my choices."

When it comes down to it - people have a tattoo or they don't. If folks don't like them, then those folks won't be getting one. Plain and simple. They don't make anyone more or less evil, enlightened, god-like, or vanilla.

I have lots of phoenix samples - that's one image I had toyed with for years as well - so if you wanna check out options, lemme know.

-Don

hm-uk said...

My favourite saying is: "If you don't like the way I look, look the other way." It might be a bit harsh, but everyone should have the right to modify their bodies in the way that is pleasing to them. Saying that sticking on temporary tattoos will make you want one later is not any more logical than saying if you play with a doll you'll want to become a parent, in my opinion...

Rebecca said...

Also, not all Mormons care about tattoos. I have several Mormon friends with multiple tattoos. Oh, and my dad has one.

from the ashes said...

sid- I'd _love_ to see those phoenix designs sometime. I'm curious about your tattoos, too. You looked so vanilla business-man when I met you. :)

hm-uk- Exactly. No one else should have a say about how I present myself.

rebecca- True. I've seen other Mormons with tattoos, too. Nothing about "no tattoos" to get a temple recommend, even.

from the ashes said...

BYU certainly has a thing against tattoos, though. They push star basketball players to get them removed, and they digitize them out of pictures of the players. Talk about white washing.

Regina Filangi said...

I didn't know that fake tattoos were verboten too! Wow, I learn something new everyday!

I agree it's no one's business if you get a tattoo. I say go for it!

Liseysmom said...

I just got mine done, and I chose a phoenix as well. I think that symbolism speaks to many many of us in the DAMU. I posted a pic on my blog if you want to take a peek!

Anonymous said...

I am an exmo and just got MY first tattoo on Miami Ink last October. My episode should be coming up soon. The tattoo was to celebrate the first 100 people I got out of Mormonism. Yay!

mike00usa@hotmail.com