Friday, September 07, 2007

follow-up to turbans

Mai, a blogger who is Sikh, commented on my last post, and wrote her own post about Sikhs and turbans. I realized my post would be controversial, but I hadn't really been thinking about it being rude. Which it was. So I followed Mai's link to her blog, read her post, and left this comment.

I'm actually glad you stumbled across my blog and my unusual (for me) post about security and turbans. It was nice to have a Sikh comment on the issue. I'm sorry to have offended you. Believe it or not, I know a little more about Sikhi that your average American (that doesn't take much). I have also in my life been quite respectful to various religions traditions and practices. It is quite a commitment to wear a turban (or a head scarf, or garments, or whatever) all through one's life, and also difficult, especially when you are in the minority to do so.

As you could see from my post, many of my opinions of religion are changing and up in the air right now. I just blurted out my first thoughts on the matter after reading the article. After reading your comments and post, as well as the comments of a couple of my regular readers, I can step back a little and see a different side. Turbans, as such, are really a harmless side of religion, as opposed to some aspects of religion that can be harmful to some. As, for example, the misogyny and racism in my Mormon heritage.

Asking Sikhs to remove their turbans in security checks likely causes more offense than any good would come of it--I find it extremely hard to believe that a Sikh would hide a composite gun in his turban, for example.

For me, my post was essentially about the deference we give religion just because it's religion, and Sikhs happen to be a starting point because the article made me think of it. Since you came by, it became a personal issue, and I thank you for that. Hearing about your BIL and SIL who have to cross into Canada to fly out--that struck me in a way that the newspaper article did not. The US shouldn't be making it harder and harder for Sikhs (and Muslims) to live here; we should be making it easier.

With regards to the history of the turban, I will defer to your knowledge. My comment about the British came from that book I linked. I went to grab my copy of the book so I could quote the part about Sikhs and the British army, but I don't have it with me. I could be remembering it totally wrong, of course. I'll remove that sentence from my post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all know how insensitive I am . . . but the fact of the matter is that I respect people, cultures, and traditions . . . but not religions - not now, not ever. I don't want them getting special treatment at airport security checkpoints, in schools, or in the tax structure. I don't want to be careful what I say around religious people . . . they've been offending me for long enough, perhaps it's my turn.

Turbans as fashion statements, sure. Turbans as traditions, fine. But Turbans as a meaningful connection to a religious commitment - No.

Same for veils, white collars, habits, and garments too.

Mai said...

Well, well, well, cv rick. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion. Such as you do not offend me, in fact, you sound just like my youngest brother and we love him still... 'I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' Voltaire, I think.

I am very glad for the original post here. It gave me the chance to meet a gracious and intelligent fellow-dweller-on-the-earth. And to discover a new-to-me fascinating blog. The only Mormon I have known at all well was basically just another Christian trying to convert me, so I know little about the religion, except the jokes. An ex (or was one once) Mormon can give an interesting perspective.

C. L. Hanson said...

On the bright side, according to the turban article, it is apparently allowed for Sikhs to wear headgear other than a turban under certain circumstances. Similarly, Muslim women are allowed to uncover their heads when in private with other women, and airport security checkpoints are equipped with small, private rooms and security personnel representing each gender.

Thus, it is possible in either case for the religious person in question to pass airport security without breaking the rules of his/her religion.

Mai said...

Dear c l hanson,

Yeah, but too bad it doesn't always work that way. Here

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/news.nsf/NewsArchive/AA7A0F1178B60D948725734D007C6D93

is a gentleman who was wearing a 'miniturban' basically just a square of cloth who was made to not only take it off, but to untie his hair as well. I cannot describe how humiliating and invasive that is! TSA has gone mad.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I believe Lemon Blossom's best friend used to be married to and had become a Sikh for a time during her marriage. You may ask her about it.