Wednesday, September 26, 2007

publicity

I was with my devout Mormon relatives this last week, and some interesting conversation topics popped up. One topic was "any publicity is good publicity," a view apparently held by some of the apostles. You know all the Mormonism-in-the-news that's been going on? The polygamist Warren Jeffs trial (guilty!), the 150th anniversary of the Mountain Meadows Massacre and the movie September Dawn, and Mormon Mitt Romney running for president? Yep, it's all publicity for the mainstream LDS church, even if only tangentially through history and the FLDS church.

Apostle Perry, for his part, believes all this to be a good thing for the church. Why? Because when people hear about the funky doctrines of Mormonism that Romney equivocates about, and the FLDS church's prophet-accomplice to rape, and the ugly, ugly history of fanatical mass murder, people ask questions. And, Perry must believe, the curious place these questions to devout Mormons who know little enough about them that they can make them look okay.

You know, like, we're really about family values and we don't actually worry about man-becoming-god and the New Jerusalem and denial of the priesthood to blacks. And the FLDS church is in no way related to us; we're LDS, see? Those FLDSers are bad and not Mormon and a big fat embarrassment to us. They have nothing to do with us, and their version of polygamy is in no way anything like the LDS historical polygamy, no, no. And those MMM murders, well, okay, they were murders, but it was a bunch of fanatics. If they had just listened to their leaders, they wouldn't have been led astray. It was their own sick brand of Mormonism that they interpreted to allow for the murders; that wasn't true Mormonism. Besides, the Arkansans were claiming they killed Joseph and all that--of course the Mormons were angry!

But I would venture to guess that, for the most part, all this publicity mostly makes Mormonism look worse than it already did to the general US public. Most Americans think Mormonism is as strange as Scientology and Moonie-ism and JW-ism. To hear more about polygamy and massacre and funky doctrine is only going to solidify that opinion in most minds. And when the curious ask questions, they are going to ask Google as often as their faithful Mormon neighbor, and get very different answers. In my experience, when people do ask faithful Mormons questions about their religion, it is often out of simple curiosity, and the only thing keeping them from saying "That's sounds idiotic!" or "Oh, please, you actually believe that?" is politeness.

So when my family was talking about all this, I was polite. I put in my two cents about MMM and the polygamy trial, to be sure, but I chose my words and tone carefully so that they would actually listen, rather than automatically ignore my opinion because it's so exmo. The interesting thing about those topics, though, is that we, as devout Mormons and exmo, can somewhat agree. The MMM was disgusting. Polygamy is disgusting.

The difference between us lies in the beliefs about the origins. To them, MMM came from local, fanatical leaders--so it is not a part of the True Church of God. To me, it came from local and regional leaders and from a fanaticism that Mormonism itself engendered--so Mormonism is not the True Church of God. To them, polygamy came from God for some incomprehensible reason, but as long as we ignore it, it won't bother us, and a church that once demanded it for salvation can still be the True Church of God. To me, polygamy came from Joseph Smith for personal power and sexual pleasure--and no god would tell a man to do such a thing so Mormonism is not the True Church of God.

Publicity for Mormonism? Yeah, I guess it's a good thing. From my point of view, anyway.

7 comments:

Mai said...

Actually, from my experience, what most Americans know about Mormonism comes from that South Park episode.

You'd be surprised how many when asked about Mormonism sing, 'Dum-dum-dum-dum-dum.' I know that sounds like a put-down joke, but I'm being serious.

Sideon said...

Women, gays and lesbians, and the internets will modernize Mormonism.

Or cause it to implode/explode.

But I agree, publicity is a very very good thing, with a capital T for Truth.

from the ashes said...

mai- I believe you! I laughed my head off when I saw that South Park episode (after I left the church). You should see faithful Mormon's faces go red and start to nitpick about all the historical inaccuracies in that episode--as if the creators shouldn't be allowed a little artist license. As if most faithful Mormons even knew the history with any accuracy.

Sid- Hooray for women! Hooray for gays and lesbians! Hooray for the internet!

Lemon Blossom said...

I received a "monthly" newsletter (the VT message with a "personal message") saying that she was concerned about the semi-documentary and how it would give people the wrong impression, "but it has already done some good. There was a man who lives down the street from a ward member who started asking questions and is now taking the discussions!!" Sigh.

Mai said...

I laughed a lot about that episode and the one about Scientology and the one where Jesus was boxing with Satan and...I could go on and on. But, to be honest, I don't think I'd much like it if they started making fun of our Gurus.

I suppose they, like most Americans, don't know the difference between Sikhs and Muslims.

Rebecca said...

Plus, Mormons DO believe in polygamy - they believe it'll be practiced in Heaven. So...not much to stand on there.

from the ashes said...

mai- Yes, it's all fun and games until someone pokes fun at your own beliefs, right? I laughed my head off at the epidose that made fun of atheists, though. Too funny. Everyone does stuff that's a little weird, you gotta admit. And I think it's healthy to laugh at ourselves.

I would bet Trey and Matt know about Sikhs, though. They are pretty smart fellahs.

rebecca- True, true. I think that's one reason why talking about polygamy bothers so many Mormon women. There's the thought that they'll have to practice it later.