Wednesday, September 05, 2007

security restrictions and religion

I read an article in the newspaper yesterday about the new TSA regulation that all airplane passengers must remove their head covering, be it baseball cap, head scarf, or turban, during the security screenings at airports. This article emphasized Sikh men, who show devotion and commitment to God by never cutting their hair. Sikh men are best recognized, then, not by long hair and beards, but by turbans which hide their hair.

The new security measure is, then, a problem for Sikhs and others, such as Muslim women, who cover their hair for religious reasons.

One the one hand, I can see the plight of the religious observers. I was, after all, a devout wearer of garments for several years, and can empathize with the indignation and embarrassment people might feel in being required to remove a religious article of clothing. Garments, though, are qualitatively different from head coverings, since garments are easily hidden, and are meant to be hidden, under a layer of clothing. Still, I could see how I would have been upset had I, say, gotten a job that denied me the garments, such as if the uniform didn't cover garments.

The head scarves of Muslim women and the turbans of Sikh men are different in that, when taking them off, they are exposing a part of the body that is rarely exposed. Therefore they feel a bit naked, and that's uncomfortable, to be sure. We all get used to our different levels of modesty. Sleeveless shirts used to feel "naked" to me, for example. I've lived in a Muslim area, and gotten used to always having my head covered to the point that I would panic a little if a man entered my house and my head wasn't covered. I can imagine how much more intense that is for women who have been taught since they were toddlers that uncovered hair around unrelated men is sinfully inappropriate.

Then there's the inconvenience. Those turbans take several minutes to wrap, and to have to redo the turban in the public airport is a pain and probably embarrassing as well. Head scarves are not so labor intensive, but, still, it's probably slightly more hassle than having to remove our shoes, like everyone does now at airports.

On the other hand (and here's where I see my secular side coming out, influenced by Dawkins and Hitchens), why should they be given an exception to the security rule? Because their style of clothing is determined by some religious myth? Because centuries ago, a man was worried about the fidelity of his many (more than four!) wives and asked that they be visited from behind a veil? This is, after all, the justification for veiling women: there's a half a sentence in Muslim scripture that could be interpreted in many ways. And Sikhs. The no-hair cutting thing is old, sure, but still just as arbitrary as any religious proscription.

Why should religious dress be granted an exception, simply because it is religious? Because it's based on beliefs so insupportable that we have to rely on faith, against reason, to believe them?


Feel free to debate with me and with each other, but please keep it civil.

5 comments:

Mai said...

Oh my goodness! The Sikh turban an artifact of British rule!? I followed your link, but found only an advert for a book, not any evidence.

I shall be kind. I shall be civil. I shall assume that you have no idea how offensive such a statement is to a Sikh. FYI, the turban has been a part of the Sikh's dress since the founding of the religion, date usually given as 1499 CE.

If you like, I can give a couple of links explaining the history and importance of the turban to Sikhs. No, wait! I think I'll write a post about that and put it on my personal blog, sometimes - 2,

http://mai-sometimes.blogspot.com/.

Give me a day or two and then please go read.

Thank you. I hope.

Mai (Harinder Kaur)

Mai said...

This post has been published. Pleae, please read it. Thanks. Mai

Anonymous said...

We have a long history of giving exemptions to laws based on religious beliefs.

Personally, I would support an exemption for religious beliefs in airport security screenings. Security screenings are mostly just security theater. They only make us feel like we're safer without conferring any real security. As such, I don't think government should meddle in harmless religious observance or any other harmless behavior.

Ujlapana said...

I don't se the justification for removing headscarves being any more "rational" than a justification for removing all but one's underwear. People have different cultural values when it comes to modesty, and if we want ours respected then we must also think it best to respect others. What could you hide in a head-scarf that you couldn't hide in a blouse? As pointed out already, only minimal actual security is in existence as it is--humiliating other cultures is pointless and, if anything, would only foment the anger that makes us such a desireable target.

from the ashes said...

Note that I removed a comment from my original post regarding the turban becoming standardized wear during the British colonial period.