Sunday, April 08, 2007

happy easter

Two years ago, I went to an Episcopal church on Easter and enjoyed it thoroughly, given that I still believed in the divinity of Jesus.

Last year, I had this urge to attend a church service. It just felt like it wouldn't be Easter without a religious component. The day before, I decided to go with my family to a congregationalist church where our fellow former-Mormon friends go. The morning of Easter, my husband decided he didn't want to go after all. At that time, I still had this revulsion to attending church by myself, so I couldn't bring myself to go--even though I wanted to. It made me mad at my husband, and I decided a good way to assuage my Easter blues would be to shop for a spring dress. A sexy, sleeveless one. So I drove two towns over to the mall, only to find it closed, of course. Since it was Easter it all. I never did get that dress.

I have since reconciled myself to the idea that my husband just isn't interested in wasting any more hours of his life on church services. That's fine. Sometimes now I do go by myself. Most weeks, I find I need those hours (one hour of services plus commute) to do other things.

This Easter, I haven't felt the pull toward church. It feels just fine for this to be a secular holiday, just like any other lazy Sunday at home, except there's lots of candy.

No comments: