Thursday, July 12, 2007

seeing grandpa again

My grandpa died a few years ago, when I was still a devout, believing Mormon. He'd had a rough life, what with being a Mormon alcoholic. Sometimes, I didn't see him for years at a time. There were even times I didn't know if he was still alive. But he'd always show up again, bringing gifts. I loved him; everyone loved him. We all just wished he'd stop drinking. Sometimes now I wonder how much of an alcoholic he really was. I could see my mom defining "alcoholic" as someone who got drunk sometimes. But thinking back, realizing he couldn't keep a job, got DUIs in the middle of the day, and called from jail now and then, I believe he really had a problem.

I now wonder how badly his problem was exacerbated by Mormonism. Not that Mormonism worsened his alcoholism, but that it made the guilt horrendous, and it strained his relations with his devout children even more. They saw his alcoholism not only as a physical challenge, but a spiritual one, too. For him, I imagine, managing to drink only one was an accomplishment. To my family, it was a failure. He could never please them.

The last few years of his life he settled in a town not too far away, so we got to see him more often. To everyone's happy astonishment, he "cleaned up" long enough to get a temple recommend again and visit the temple. Within months, he had died, alone in his bed.

I had seen him two months before he died, but his death was traumatic for me. He was my first grandparent to die, and he was my favorite, too. It took at least a couple days before the landlord realized he was dead, and a few more days before the death was not ruled a suicide. The autopsy showed he died slowly, in pain. It was not an open casket funeral, so I felt cheated of that last visit. As weird and disturbing as viewings can be, I believe they help with mourning.

I wanted so bad to see him again. I'd heard of a relative who reports she sees the spirits of the deceased at their funerals, every time. Everyone talked about it as her spiritual gift. At the funeral, I hoped that might work for me. I had faith that I could. I let myself think that maybe that thing I saw out of the corner of my eye was him, contacting us from the spiritual world. But really, I knew it was just the light, streaming in through the stained glass. I saw nothing, and was disappointed in my own lack of faith.

Soon after, I went to the temple. Surely, I thought, I could see him there. I mustered up all my faith, telling myself I knew I could see him. In the chapel, in the endowment room, in the celestial room, I thought about him, willing the heavens to open up and let me catch just a glimpse. Of course, I saw nothing. I lost him all over again.

6 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

This post is very touching. Do you feel differently now that you don't believe the myth? Or do you mourn that myth that comforts you with hope that you'll one day see him again?

from the ashes said...

that's where I wanted to go with this post, but I found myself reminiscing about my grandpa, and wanted to leave it like this.

maybe in another post

Travis Whitney said...

I've always heard stories of such things happening, seeing family or those who people did temple work for, but I have never heard of that happening with anyone that I know, family, friends or otherwise. I wonder if those stories are just faith promoting lies, or if they have actually happened. I'm sure there are both out there, but it doesn't help when you desperately want it to happen to you, faithing it to work, and it doesn't. If there is a God, wouldn't he have known that you might eventually think twice about that experience and decide that faith doesn't work?

Great story. I'm sorry that happened to you.

/paranoidfr33k

JulieAnn said...

Touching post, very bittersweet. Brings thoughts of my dad and all of the programming I have to dodge daily in my head of losing the chance at ever seeing him again. I understand. Be well

ja

from the ashes said...

paranoid- The relative in question I know personally. I have heard her tell the stories of seeing the departed, including my grandpa.

I think of it as her way of dealing, of mourning. Combine her desire to see them again with her imagination with her Mormon world view telling her to believe in spirits, and you've got a little vision. My little atheist-there-is-no-afterlife-interpretation.

from the ashes said...

julieann- It is very difficult to mourn loved ones, isn't it? I haven't lost anyone close since my disaffection, but there is a certain amount of losing them again once I ceased to believe in the afterlife.