Monday, July 02, 2007

relationship

In June, I invited my parents and my mother-in-law to a museum with me and their mutual grandson. For a while, we got separated, and I wondered around looking for them. I found them eventually, and thought nothing of it. The other day, I heard second-hand that their little disappearance had a purpose: to talk about my disaffection.

I didn't get much information out of the grapevine, but I did hear this: My parents stay really hands off, because "the relationship is the most important thing." Upon hearing that, I immediately felt a surge of love for my parents. I realized how much they pay attention to what they say, to how they interact with me. It struck me that I am being petty to be bugged that I can't drink coffee in front of them. It made me wonder if I was just being selfish to complain about sleeveless shirts and never having a glass of wine at a family dinner. I reminded myself to worry more about them and their comfort, to worry about keeping our relationship good, than to worry about myself.

(While keeping a balance so I'm not pandering, selling myself out, or hiding my true self.)

3 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Your parents sound awesome. Wonder what the MIL said to spark their saying that??

:) Hugs to you.

Christy said...

Yeah. What SML said. (it's official. Between the two of you, I never need to speak again. You can speak for me)

Mwah!

from the ashes said...

SML- I imagine my MIL asked my parents how they are handling things, have they talked to me, etc. Something like that.

christy- MWAH!