Friday, December 21, 2007

immorality education

Like other Mormon young women (doesn't everyone else call them teenagers or youth?), I had the importance of "morality" drilled into me. Morals and ethics are fine things, but in Mormon parlance, "morality" means one thing: abstinence from sex. Conversely, "immorality" means having sex. Why the terms took on such specific meanings I cannot fathom, and I believe it creates a skewed idea of what morality actually is, but that's not the topic of this post. What I want to talk about is the Mormon version of teaching youth about sex.

As a youth, I was taught that immorality (which I always had to sort out in my head as different from immortality, another hot topic in Mormon churches) was bad, bad, bad, to be avoided at all costs, and just downright bad. Fornication was listed as the third worst sin, after murder (number two), and denying the Spirit (whatever that means). How messed up is that? Also, if you were "immoral," you were unworthy to go to the temple. And it was the temple where you wanted to get married, to start your eternal family, so you had better avoid immorality!

And how to avoid it? By staying as far away from it as possible. How? Not dating until you were at least 16, not entertaining dirty thoughts, not reading dirty romances, not watching rated-R movies, not watching dirtier PG-13 movies, not having a steady boyfriend until after high school, not single-dating, not staying out past midnight ("When the holy Ghost goes to bed!"), and not going to parties where the parents wouldn't be there. Don't masturbate would've been on the list, had any of our leaders imagined that, yes, females masturbate, too. But they didn't.

Oh, and all the do's, too: Go to seminary, stay worthy of the Spirit, read your scriptures, say your prayers, attend church every week, go to Young Women's activity nights, befriend only people with your same standards (read: Molly Mormons, and only Mormons), listen to good music, read worthy books, and always dream of the day you will be sealed in the temple to a worthy return missionary!

I remember my dad's explanation behind waiting until you were 16 to date: You start dating, hanging out with people you like, and you're going to want to move to the next step--holding hands. Pretty soon, holding hands won't be enough, so you'll want to move on to hugging. Then little kisses. Then even that will get boring, and you'll want to kiss more. Maybe even make-out. And making out will lead to heavier making out, and before you know it, you're clothes are off and you've blown (heh) you're chance at happiness (e.g., temple marriage). So don't start dating early, and don't be alone with your date, until, oh, you're married, mmkay?

Oh, and if you are "immoral" with that 18-year old, you'll prevent him from going on his mission, so not only will you have ruined his life, but you'll have stopped him from teaching all those people he would have converted had he only stayed worthy, you slut!

Did we get any lessons about STDs? Teen pregnancy? How hard it is to be a teen mother? How to deal with the emotions around having sex? Birth control? HIV? Where to get condoms and how to put them on? How to negotiate safe sex with your partner? How anal and oral sex can still spread diseases, if not pregnancy? Nope, nope, nope.

How to say no to a boy? How to be confident and strong? How we have the right to say when and where and how and with whom? No way. How about sexual abuse? Rape? Incest? How to deal with those? Where to seek help? Nope. What to do if you find yourself pregnant? The teachers were eerily silent on the issues.

Instead, it was simple: Stay clean, stay worthy, and all will be well and you'll live happily ever after in your perfect temple marriage. Slip up, and you're screwed (heh). And left to wallow in your guilt for having sexual impulses.

That is, being a completely normal human being.

13 comments:

Mai said...

This reminds me of 'Morality Court' in apartheid South Africa, but that was concerned with miscegenation.

I have always wondered how 'morality' got to meaning 'don't have sexual contact.' Don't kindness, charity, lovingness, fairness, concern, you know the list mean more than whose Mr. Happy goes into whose Ms. Hootchie-hootchie, or mouth or anus or even hands? This, to me, is one of the mysteries of life. I asked a Jehovah's Witness recently to explain to me what was immoral about masterbation. The best she could come up with is that one's time is better spent in Service to Jehovah, ie, door-to-door prosletysing. I answered since I'm not going to be 'in Service' anyway, it must be OK for me. She got huffy and murmured something about people who just don't want Truth, pursed her lips like a good Church Lady, made the sihn against the Evil Eye (not really, I made that up!) and left.

BTW, I didn't date until I was 34 - and I hated it. Another link about my Dad.

http://mai-sometimes.blogspot.com/2006/10/woke-up-last-night-in-middle-of-night.html

This is also one of my favourites and one of my few works of fiction.

Anonymous said...

"The teachers were eerily silent on the issues."

As far as other issues, they *did* take the time at least to mention girls were better off dead than raped and alive.

They didn't need to tell you where to seek help - it would be the bishop, of course.

And my dad liked to tell me he'd disown me if I ever came into his house "pregnant out of wedlock". sigh.


(( Oh, I used to post as "CW", but I realized that might be confusing even though I mostly lurk since other people have similar handles. So I swapped to another for clarity. ))

Unknown said...

this is so ridiculous. what a disservice to "the youth of the church."

my husband's sex education was as follows: "sometimes your boy-part will get big. don't touch it." beautiful.

the boy who baptized me never went on a mission. guess who they blamed?

Unknown said...

you know, my husband and i talked recently about how much we suffered trying to be chaste before we got married. he wanted to know if i thought things would have been different if we had just gotten over it and had sex. i think things would have been a LOT different. for one thing, we probably wouldn't have gotten married right away. we probably would have lived together and maybe we would have been nomadic for a while, like we wanted. we probably wouldn't have had kids so fast and i would have accomplished more in life before being tied to the home with two small children. we wouldn't have sat cold and silent next to each other for so many nights, hating ourselves and wondering if we should get married at all since we obviously weren't worthy of each other, being so sin-ridden and disgusting.

that hurts my heart so much.

Anonymous said...

An absolutely perfect description of the morality lessons I received . . . which, if you've read anything on my blog you'd realize failed completely. I couldn't have said it better. And then there was that "slutty" Bishop's daughter who kept me from living eternally happy, but I have a healthy sex life and I think it's a good trade off.

from the ashes said...

mai- No kidding. What could possibly be wrong with masturbation (in private, etc)? Why would god give us that and then demand we don't use it?

notpotable- Wow--I should have mentioned those gems, too, but thank the FSM, my parents never said such things. They were more about the eternal consequences of damnation and unhappiness, and less about the immediate consequences. Though had I come home pregnant, I'm sure they would have advised me to put the baby up for adoption.

chandelle- I know, sex ed is so inadequate. MY masturbation lesson was "You don't have to worry about that [being a girl]" and my sex ed lesson was "Sex is very special, between husband and wife." Wow, thanks.

I very much identify with your description of you and your husbands painful dating situation. We definitely would not have married so young (at least waited until after college!) and would have lived together for a while first. And not been so frustrated while dating. Sigh. I may have to write another post relating to that...

cv rick- Obviously, those Mo-sex ed lessons work so well! Hmm, how many girls may age ended up as teen mothers and totally shunned...?

Mai said...

And yet again, I forgot to check the box. My mind doesn't work so well in the winter. Even worse when we lived in Alaska.

Michael Carr - Veritas Literary said...

My mom tried to give me a masturbation talk at about twelve and she said that "some men" touch themselves to make themselves get hard. Well, I was twelve and the little guy just stiffened up on his own sometimes. I confessed this guiltily and she told me that it wasn't my fault, but for goodness sake, don't encourage it by touching.

Anonymous said...

"I was taught that immorality (which I always had to sort out in my head as different from immortality, another hot topic in Mormon churches"

LOL. I can totally relate to this. It's funny how often I had to remind myself which was the "good" one.

Rebecca said...

With this all-or-nothing approach it's not even remotely surprising how many of my peers at church, and their siblings, ended up getting pregnant and often getting married in shame (ie: by the bishop in the ward meetinghouse). I can think of four without even TRYING, and I was super quiet and kept to myself and didn't know many people.

Mai said...

In response to Rebecca's comment:

If they were married 'in shame,' could they later get sealed in the temple (I just had an image of a bandaid on the side of the head) or were they shut out of the celestial kingdom forever?

Unknown said...

kingm - lol, I'm sure that was soooo helpful.

fig- I bet a lot of talks and things have been messed up by mixing up those words. Kind of like "organism" and "orgasm" in biology class.

rebecca- I could easily name 4, too.

mai- No, they can "repent" and get sealed and still have a shot at the CK. At least in modern thinking. Maybe in the actual text of the D&C, they couldn't.

fta

Eight Hour Lunch said...

Ugh. Brings back Morality for Youth. I hated how easy they made it for me to feel crappy about myself. It took me years to come to a normal attitude about dating and sex.