Wednesday, July 18, 2007

more on the indoctrination incident

I don’t need ALL religious talk avoided. We talk with my other sister- and brother-in-law about Mormonism quite often (too often?) in front of our son. Hell, we’ve even argued heatedly about whether or not Joseph was a pimp-daddy, my son sitting quietly on my lap. It think it’s unavoidable, and not necessary to avoid, saying things like, “Church starts at eleven,” or “Dad has church meetings tonight,” or even, “My church teaches me that I shouldn’t drink coffee.” But with my family, it goes beyond that. We’ve got nephews telling my husband it’s bad to smoke when he showed up with an empty pipe for a costume party. We’ve got our son coming home and saying things like, “Sunday is a break day. We shouldn’t swim on Sunday.” We’ve got his cousin telling him coffee is bad. And now Sunday morning screenings of Mormon propaganda. And that’s just what I noticed.

Writing it down like that makes it seem so trivial. But it’s the attitude behind it. The attitude that their way is The Way, and that we’re just doing it wrong. The attitude that let’s them say, “Coffee is bad” instead of “I don’t drink coffee, because I believe God doesn’t want me to. But other people think it’s okay. Scientists say it's okay for your body.” The attitude that lets them say, “That’s how Heavenly Father made things,” instead of “Isn’t nature beautiful?” The attitude that colors everything they say with “This is how it is,” instead of “This is how I do it.”

So I never bothered to talked to them about it, and it ended in this movie. Instead, I selectively choose babysitters. My sister is a good choice, because I’ve had many conversations with her about things, and she doesn’t just assume things about me. For example, she asked me, “So how do you want me to handle it when I say prayers with my son and your son is around?” It meant so much to me that she was aware enough to ask. No one else has. I explained to her that we’ve told our son that he needs to be quiet while other people pray, but that he doesn’t have to close his eyes, bow his head, or fold his arms—even if someone asks him to. No one has, though. Which makes me think they are at least somewhat aware. Which lulled me into a false sense of security, I suppose, and I never had The Boundaries discussion with anyone.

So it’s time to discuss with her, and with others. What to what point? How? Do I lay it all down, give them my exit story (edited, likely), tell them I resigned? Say it plainly and clearly that I’m an atheist and that I’ll be raising my son secularly, thank you very much. I hate having to bring it up, because I know it hurts them. I hate bringing it up, because it shows them how much further “gone” I am than they let themselves think. It’s never easy to start up such a conversation. I fear I am incapable of doing it without getting emotional, without raging and ranting, without making them think I’m a bitter ex-Mormon. My family, in general, avoids talking about anything that brings up unhappy feelings. Contention is of the Devil, you know. And confusion, fear, negativity, anger, jealousy, cognitive dissonance, making waves...

How do I word it? How do I say it? Do I talk in person? Do I email? Do I keep it to a minimum, or go all out? I want to do it without making my SIL feel like I’m blaming her. I know I need to talk to them, but my tact so far has been Avoid the House. And that's just lame.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I don't know your family, but if it were MINE I'd just say, "Hey, please don't show my kid religious movies. You know we disagree on those points." I don't think it would be necessary to go into detail about anything - that should be plenty.

I can think of three reasonably possible responses (at least for MY family):
A) She apologizes because she sincerely didn't think it through beforehand.
B) She gets upset because she doesn't see anything wrong with it.
C) She agrees, but does it again anyway.

A is obviously the best.

For B I'd say something along the lines of, "Okay, well then I guess you won't mind if I show your kids The Godmakers, or Catholic propaganda videos, right? Well, that's how I feel about this. Your beliefs are fine, but don't try to push them on my kid."

For C I'd show her kids The Godmakers behind her back, then smile sweetly and ask her what's wrong with me exposing them to MY beliefs, if she feels free to do the same to my kid?

But that's if it were my family.

Sideon said...

I want Rebecca to adopt me and be in HER family :)

hm-uk said...

Wow, what a dilemma. I think that depending on how close you want to stay with your family, you can raise your son to critically question everything that he sees - religious or secular - which will give him a healthy skepticism and the ability to think for himself. That questioning, therefore, goes for the churchy vids that his extended family might show him. If and when he starts questioning your family about the doctrine on the vids and they can only defend the programs with dogma, then perhaps he will see both sides of the coin. At some point he will have to do some heavy thinking about why you left the religion/culture and whether it's something he wants to pursue or learn more about. All you can give him is the ability to think through the information - the truth will out, and you will come off the bigger person who gives him the TRUE choice. Your extended family will probably never give their children the same gifts of logic and rationality. Good luck.

from the ashes said...

Rebecca- Or D) She apologizes sincerely because she realized there was something wrong with it, but didn't know what to do or how upset I would be. Which is what happened. See Thursday's post.

hm-uk- Welcome. Perhaps you've been lurking, but I'm glad you're commenting, either way. Critical thinking skills, yes. We are trying.

Another thing I'm trying to teach is It's Okay to Question Authority. For example, I'll make statements as if they were factual, but are actually off, like calling the car a jetski, and see if he'll call me on it. He needs to know that just because an adult said it, it isn't necessarily true.

Lemon Blossom said...

You are living the life I will soon be living, but fortunately for only a couple of weeks. I haven't seen any of my family since the letter (except for my parents twice and they were at MY house) so we'll see how this goes. I'm SO nervous!

Thanks for sharing all of this stuff. It's helping me to think ahead.

I hope things go well, no matter what you decide to do.

from the ashes said...

I was VERY nervous the first time I stayed with my family, too. And no one said a thing.

The only time it came close to coming up was when we came home from meeting Christy (degenerate elite) at lunch--on a Sunday--with a take-away box. My mom just said, "How was lunch?" is a genuine voice. I was shocked. I had expected a lecture on the Sabbath Day. But it never came; she has actually been good about respecting me and my choices. (At least to my face. I know she still prays about me to return.)