Tuesday, July 17, 2007

the indoctrination incident

On Sunday morning, when I went to pick up my son after an overnight baby sit, I saw that he and his cousins had just finished watching The Testaments. The Testaments. Mormon propaganda-missionary tool that tells a story about Jesus coming to America and killing all the non-believers.

And you know what my young son gleaned from the movie? He couldn’t tell me what it was about, but he did retain that the Bad Guy was killed by a wall falling on him. And what made him bad? "He said there was no God." He was an evil atheist worthy of death because of his beliefs. You don’t show that movie to a child of atheist parents. Can I put that in all caps? Because I sure want to.

YOU DON’T SHOW THAT MOVIE TO A CHILD OF ATHEIST PARENTS.

It wasn’t my understanding sister that showed it to him; it was my sister-in-law. I was mad. So mad I could barely eat. So mad I was practically shaking. I find I can’t be that mad at my sister-in-law, though, because, in all fairness, I’ve never told her anything about my beliefs more than “My path is away from the Mormon church right now.” She had no idea we’re atheists. She has no idea that her showing that movie to my son is the equivalent to me showing her kids the Godmakers.

I’m mad at myself for never setting the boundaries.

I’m mad at Mormonism for influencing her to think the way she must: that exposing my son to Mormon ideas can only be a good thing. It’s pompous; it’s ignorant; it’s conceited. But for her, it’s totally normal. I doubt it occurred to her to at least call us first and ask if it’s okay (the answer would have been no). I seriously doubt she consciously thought that she needed to go behind my back to teach my son the Truth. She wasn’t being devious or manipulative about it. Her world view told her it was fine and right, that it was hardly worth thinking about it. I should assume that it was just outside her thought process at the time to think maybe it wasn’t okay.

But I can’t assume that. Because I remember how I thought about my nephews who are not being raised Mormon. I remember how I thought it would be great to expose them to the church. I remember how I went with my Christian sister-in-law and her son to see Legacy years ago, hoping it would soften her heart and get her son curious about the church. (Talk about karma coming back to bite me--but at least my nephew's parents we with him!) I remember what’s it’s like to hope, deep in my heart, that they’d convert someday. I remember what it’s like to truly believe my way was the best way, the Only True Way.

And I know that it never occurred to me that that was pompous, conceited, and ignorant.

to be continued...

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, yeah, that's not okay. Because I am not the nicest of people, I would probably go ahead and show her kids The Godmakers. I'm sure you're more mature than that, though (if not, that's cool - we can totally hang and make fun of anyone who's different from us).

Travis Whitney said...

The saga continues.... stay firm and set the boundaries.

I hope it all works out for you.

Good luck!

/paranoidfr33k

Ujlapana said...

Seems like a good teaching opportunity. I know your son is very young, but even something simple, like, "do you think it's nice to kill people who don't agree with you?" or, "Dad and I know that God is pretend, but would we hurt someone who believes God is real?". I imagine you're a balanced enough person that you wouldn't sue a school system over the Pledge of Allegience or stop using cash (with it's theistic motto). This is America. Ideas flow freely and theism is the biggest thing going. I think you could talk to SiL now that the feelings have subsided, but I seriously doubt she even noticed the "kill the atheist" connection as a casual viewer. If she's got peer children, they probably watch the movie a lot...

JulieAnn said...

I admire your insight and admire the way you own your part, however small it may be, in this. Some people would have just railed agains the Church and their babysitter, but you owned that you didn't set boundaries. I think that is so important, to look at what part we played in the drama. Sounds like it's time to set some boundaries with SIL.
Great post...
ja

from the ashes said...

rebecca- You sound like a cool chica to chill with. We got to do that sometime.

paranoid- Thanks for sticking with me and giving encouragement.

ujlapana- That's more or less the talk we had with our son after the movie. "We think God is pretend? Do you think that makes us bad people?" I am positive that this movie has affected me to a far greater degree than it affected him. To me, it marks the first round is a lifetime of clashing uncomfortably with my own family.

julieann- At least I'm doing something right. ;)

Lemon Blossom said...

This is what I am nervous about as well. In the letter I wrote to my family I said:

We respect that all parents teach their children what they deem to be most important and will not push what we believe onto them. I hope that you all will have that same respect and will do the same for S and M.

I'm hoping that this will curtail most things like that from happening, but I'm sure something will come up sometime and I'm not sure yet what I would say. I'm trying to figure that out now because we are going to visit them soon.

from the ashes said...

lemon- Read Friday's post.

If you experience is anything like mine with my family, very little will be said. None of the adults say anything, anyway. It's the older nephews and nieces that have been bringing things up. I'd say, prepare S to deal with it, and ask him to report things to you. I've made a decision to always stay quite near DS to know what's going on.

JulieAnn said...

You're doing a lot right, FTA. Great job, girlie. ;0)