Saturday, November 03, 2007

losing friends

An old Mormon friend of mine asked me why some old friends who left the church won't return emails and phone calls. There's the desire the keep up the friendship, but the faithful/exmo divide seemed insurmountable. This is what I replied.

I'm really sorry to hear about your lost friendships. That really bites. I've been trying to get my thoughts together on what to say, but, of course, I don't know your friends and why they haven't kept in touch. I do know, though, that it is a very difficult transition.

Especially in the case of your gay friend, I would guess, there's a lot of negative baggage associated with all things Mormon. For me, leaving was like my house fell down around me, and adjusting to "post-Mormon" life is like a major renovation. I've had to sift through the rubble, throwing out stuff I find harmful, and trying to preserve the stuff I want to keep. I became very inward-focused for a while, neglecting my relationships with others, so I could concentrate on my own upheaval. Not on purpose, it's just what happened.

I think there's also a tendency among us leavers to cut off everything church-related, including faithful Mormon friends, in order to come to grips with our new selves, redefine our selves and goals, and move on. I think it's an effort of self-preservation, really, where everything is just so overwhelming. If your friends are anything like me, it's just more comfortable and easier to be friends with fellow ex-Mormons, people who understand us and have been through similar things. More than anyone right now, they are "my people." I am, and I bet your friends are, trying to repair relationships and negotiate how to be friends across those barriers. It's tough.

In addition, many of us fear that faithful Mormon friends are hoping to get us back in the church, or will simply misunderstand us, or will want lengthy explanations (or worse, debates or fights) when we may not be prepared to dredge all the emotions and reasons up again. (Don't worry, I don't feel that with this email exchange.) We also fear that our Mormon friends will judge us, like you said, or cut us off. While I haven't lost any good friends, I've certainly lost church acquaintances and people whom I thought were friends. Partly because we stopped attending church and activities, and partly because (it seems) they were afraid of us. Ouch.

I don't know if that helps you understand your friends a little better or not. Just my thoughts. I'd say, try again. Be explicit. If it were me, I'd prefer my friend to just come out and say, "Listen, I feel like our different religious choices have gotten in the way of our friendship, and I think that bites. I want to be friends with you. What can we do about it?" Everyone is more comfortable once the elephant in the room has been acknowledged; it may cause some awkwardness at first, but it's worth getting past it by just talking about it directly.

5 comments:

hm-uk said...

Well said. Damn.

FreeOscar said...

I’ve been reader of your blog for a month or so. As recovering Catholic from the East Coast my knowledge of LDS was next to nothing until I moved to a town that has a Mormon college where there’s a good number of Mormons at work & at my husband’s law school. I started looking online about Mormons & came across some exmo blogs. I found their stories amazing. From an outside observer it takes a lot of courage to leave something that’s so much a part of your identity. I’m fascinated by Mormonism & even more fascinated by those who have the courage to question & take action.

from the ashes said...

hm-uk, Thanks.

c rag- Wow. Welcome. People recovering from Catholicism and from Mormonism have a lot in common, I'm sure. Each religion has it's unique baggage, though. Stick around, and speak up as often as you like! I love getting "outisder" points of view. The insider POV is that leaving Mo'ism a bad, big mistake, so to hear us exmos called courageous is nice. Thank you.

Sideon said...

Very well said.

I was not nearly so kind or considerate in some of my responses. Looking back, I was working through the dual issues of coming out sexually AND stating my disbelief in anything Christian, let alone Mormon. Double Wham-o. There were some very not-nice moments on mine and my friends' parts.

from the ashes said...

sideon- Yes, I can see that a journey out of the closet coupled with a journey out of the church is a double-wham-o. And double recovery. "Not nice" moments are understandable.

My friend responded to this, btw, basically saying, "Wow, it never occurred to me it would be hard to leave."

That struck me as idiotic at first, but then I realized what it looks like from the "inside." They think we left bc we were offended or lazy or wanted to sin. No one in the church ever, ever talks about the difficulty of our journeys. (Wouldn't you think they would? At the very least to scare people off of it? Or to show how awful it is to be "deceived by Satan"?)