Monday, November 26, 2007

crazy stuff (Mormon) kids say

"Do you know who saved Baby Sister's life?  Me.  'Cause I was the one who prayed when Mom was bleeding when Baby Sister was in her tummy.  I said a prayer, and she was fine.  I saved her life."


Never mind the doctors.  Never mind biology.  Never mind that there were only two possible outcomes, and had it been the other one, they wouldn't have blamed him for saying the prayer that didn't save the fetus.  Never mind that if god really did intervene, it would have been god who saved the life, not the prayer-giver.


"There was a hurricane, but we said a prayer and it turned the other way and missed us."

And would the hurricane have turned away anyway?  What about all the people who prayed for the hurricane to miss them, too, but it flattened their houses anyway?  Are they not good prayer-givers?  Did they lack the faith it required?


"Jesus said tattoos are bad.  You shouldn't get tattoos."

Really?  I don't remember reading that anywhere in the scriptures.  


And the craziest thing?  They're saying this shit in front of my son.  

Like this little gem he reported to us:

"They said, 'We felt an earthquake, but we said a prayer, so the earthquake stopped.'"

We turned that into a skeptics' teaching moment.  "Well, let's think about that," I said.  "If they had not said a prayer, would that earthquake ended in a few seconds anyway?"

"Yes."  

"Earthquakes are about geology, about the shape of the earth, the earth moving.  How is a prayer going to change that?"

"It's not.  And besides, if god is way up in space," he wondered, "how is he supposed to stop the earth from shaking?"  He's really been into this idea that heaven is up in space somewhere.

"Know what I think?  I think saying a prayer during an earthquake or a hurricane helps them feel not scared.  There are a lot of things in the world we can't control, and saying prayers and thinking that god is helping them out makes them feel safer and more in control."


Sigh.  I guess my son has to learn to negotiate through this kind of thing, and on his own, too, since I won't be there every time someone brings up something believing.  So far, he's been polite enough to not say, "But god is just pretend!" when god is mentioned in conversation.  Today, though, I saw his face when someone recited a poem about god making this and that.  Oh, his face was precious.  Disbelieving and sassy, as if he was thinking, "Oh, these people!  How silly of them!"   But he held his tongue.

That made me smile, but really, I don't want him to be condescending to believers.  I want him to be sympathetic, polite, and respectful.  Which is why I explained that praying makes people feel safer in scary situations, instead of just leaving it at "Yup, aren't they silly for thinking a few words to a pretend friend in the sky will change the nature of the earth?"

6 comments:

Sideon said...

You and your hubby are amazing parents, fta.

I love these posts.

FreeOscar said...

You have the right idea!

He's a good kid for holding his tongue.

It's so hard for me now to hold my tongue when I hear things like this coming from grown-ups!

Anonymous said...

Good stuff on a sadder note we have a friend our age who passed away with 4 young kids, and the whole "he's living with Heavenly Father" line is the standard answer. I feel bad but I understand the hope and faith they have. No easy answers...

hm-uk said...

Well done for finding a way to strike a balance between rationality and respect for others, regarding Little FTA and his 'figuring stuff out'.

The ritual of prayer, especially repetitive prayers like the Hail Mary or Our Father, has interested me as a way of coping. It's almost like you chant your way to peace. I think Buddhism and Islam also have their prayers that repeat. Seemingly, the Mormon religion discourages pat prayers as a way of distinguishing themselves from other Christian denominations. I always thought it was ironic though that pat testimonies were acceptable. I digress.

BTW, I was glad to hear that you won't be leaving the country right now - I was a bit worried before I went and read the post that you had simply been in Utah.

Mai said...

The more I read, the more I like you.

This post reminds me of Pat Robertson - I think it was him - claiming that Katrina was God's judgement on New Orleans for being so very sinfully 'queer' - all the while overlooking the fact that the gayest part of the city, The French Quarter was spared. Naughty, naughty God. Or god. Whichever. Or both.

from the ashes said...

I swear I responded to this, but I guess it didn't publish. Grrr. And it was a long response too.