Tuesday, January 08, 2008

spirituality

Since leaving the church, I've learned to differentiate spiritual from religious, and feel that one can nourish one's spirituality without organized religion or even religion at all. (One can also be religious without being spiritual.) But the actual definition of spiritual is elusive, maybe because it is intensely personal.

I think of it as a selfhood, a soulfulness (though I don't think there is a "soul" per se), paying attention to that part of the world that is me and only me. I also see it as a feeling of connection to others, to the world, the cosmos, the sublime. A feeling of peace, or joy, or love. A contentedness. It can be found anywhere, and it's different for everyone. A book, a movie, some music, dance, or art. In a walk through the forest or on the beach, or even in the neighborhood. Creating, building , destroying. Meditation, prayer, recitation, exercise, thrill-seeking.

Why do we seek it? I believe it has something to do with the fact that human brains have evolved to the point that we are conscious of our consciousness. We are animals smart enough to ask, "Why?" Smart enough to realize we are one tiny bit of one great whole, and we seek significance and connection within that.

I've been pretty non-spiritual and secular the past couple years, for the most part. Don't have god, don't need sublimeness or religion. But every once in a while, I feel like I'm in the mood for something spiritual. I miss it and crave it. I wonder, am I missing out on something by being secular? Is there really something special about religion that I can't achieve without it?

These questions were brought on this last week by a book I'm reading, The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible. I thought it would be terribly funny and irreverent, the whole book aimed at poking fun at all the wacko things in the Bible. It is quite funny, but the author really, truly tried to find god by following the rules in the Bible (wacko rules and all). It's written by a secular New Yorker who wondered if he was missing something by being secular. He wanted to give the Bible an honest try. Half way through his year, he found himself praying to god when his son was hurt. Spontaneously praying, and actually believing it might help (for a few seconds anyway).

And I realized something. I miss that. I used to structure my world view around a benevolent god watching over me. Me personally. I used to pray. Now? I've not once prayed that my current illness would go away. Most of the time, I am perfectly reconciled to the idea that I'm an outcome of evolution, that there is no ultimate purpose, no afterlife of reward. But sometimes, sometimes, I miss how it was.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great post. In losing my faith, I miss that spiritual connection I once thought I had. I know it is not lost forever, I just have to de-program myself little by little. Also, I picked up that book at B&N...didn't buy but thought it looked interesting. I guess I will have to check it out. P.S. formerly MusingMeg who commented on your last post. Check out my url if you want. I am looking forward to finding like-minded people:)

Rebecca said...

When I was Mormon I would pray almost compulsively - just ALL THE TIME. I couldn't drive without praying (not head bowed or anything - just a quick prayer in my head), or get on a plane, or go to the movies or the theatre, or pretty much anything. And while I tried to make my prayers "from the heart" and not just rote, I never felt like I'd prayed effectively unless I'd said certain things in certain orders. Now I never pray, and that's a huge mental burden off my shoulders. Truly, I feel great about it.

Angie K. Millgate said...

Hmmmm... I appreciate this post, FTA because it got me thinking about my own life. When I jumped out of the Mormon Frying Pan, I leapt into the flames of spirituality, my own personal quest. I was surprised to discover that my belief in God deepened and that (S)He blesses those that are not part of The Fold. I discovered that I AM my own connection, that I do not need a conglomeration of correct keys and protocol to get me there. And that the song, I am a Child of God is more true now than it was then. And that, if that is so, then (T)He(y) are my parents and love me no matter how flawed I am. I learned that *I* don't need religion to get me there. And, when I pray, it's a conversation completely devoid of proper protocols and elevated Bible-talk.

The most important thing I have come to learn parallels your opening statement: spirituality is a highly personal, individualized experience and spirituality and religiosity are two COMPLETELY separate things. It was the most revolutionary experience I have had in my life thus far.

With love,
Angie

Unknown said...

Over the last year or so, I have found myself feeling a feeling of fraudulence whenever I pray or start to pray. It's like I have realized there (might) be no one or nothing "up there" to pray to and I wonder why I am doing it at all.
As this happens more and more often I find I am mourning my former surety, and missing the times in my life when I just accepted that there was a god and he listened to little old me whine about my life. It's a sad feeling but also liberating.

Anonymous said...

I thought that the book was a remarkable travelogue through the tenants of Western Religious Foundation. But it was somewhat vapid with respect to the "belief" aspects.

When I left Mormonism, I felt perfectly comfortable without any belief. I'm a natural atheist and have never actually looked toward anything outside myself. I said the right things and did the right things and always believed only in myself. I think that's why I never looked for any support groups or substitute churches when I went out on my own.

Anonymous said...

cv rick,
My DH sounds a lot like you. His transition as been very different as he has never depended on others for their support or approval. That, and he is convert so he knew of life before Mormonism. I'm jealous of him right now.

Unknown said...

I like that we all have different experiences and viewpoints and paradigms--and we share them. And appreciate that we can all be different about it.

fta

Anonymous said...

Hello fta,

I have had spiritual feelings since taking some anti-depressants. The only word I can think of to describe these feelings is - compassion. I feel a great deal more compassion for many people, pets and situations. If I come across a person that is a spiritual crusher, someone that is overbearing, opinionated and bullying, I have more compassion for myself and can easily turn away from such a fool.
Peace and serenity also come too mind. As for missing how it was, I guess acceptance is one of the big steps in spirituality.

Circus Watcher