Thursday, November 16, 2006

Mormon neighbors

I have TBM neighbors. Some I used to go to church with. Some only know me as that inactive women, if they know my history at all. But I think they know. At the very least they’ve seen my name and address on the ward list and put two and two together. Either that, or someone has told them about me:

“You know the people in the blue house? Inactives. They used to come, give talks, hold callings, were so happy and golden, and now? They’re totally anti-social, and once, I saw her taking out the recycling—and you know what? Beer bottles.”

Yeah, the conversation probably doesn’t happen. I’m hardly a blip on their radar. But the new ones do act a little, well, scared when they see me. Like just talking to me will infect them with the lies of the devil.

Say hello, and she may make you doubt.

But I guess I should be happy that it’s not the other way—I haven’t got the bishop trying to make appointments, or the missionaries knocking on the door, or the primary president tempting my child to activities with brownies and cupcakes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trust me, when you're living in sin, THEY NOTICE! You're still married - slip into the "ho" category, and the'll talk about you behind your back...right in front of your face!

~~ pokerspice

from the ashes said...

pokerspice- Ugh, I'm sorry. Let's just be glad we don't live in Utah.

Z- That's an interesting analysis. I hadn't thought of it like that before. Did this person's name rhyme with Dandy?

Anonymous said...

I've been out for 4 years.

Surely you may have heard of the Recovery from Mormonism website?

Lots of people just like us leave every single day.

http://www.exmormon.org/

from the ashes said...

Elmira--Welcome. Sure I've heard of RfM. I've been active in the online DAMU for almost two years. I don't care for RfM's style myself, which is why I didn't list it in my links. (I only list books I've actually read and sites I actually go to. The list expands, though.)