Sunday, October 08, 2006

pre-exit 1: in the beginning

I was born to Mormon parents, who had also been born to Mormon parents. I could list some 1830’s converts, if I had the gumption up to give a thorough look at my genealogy. (Or is it “family history” now?) Some of my ancestors are more recent converts, but they were mostly 19th century ones, quite a few of them making the trek west to Utah, some of them from as far as Europe.

Suckers. What were they looking for in life that made them find Joseph Smith’s story to be credible? I imagine they were poor, downtrodden, and unsatisfied with the traditional forms of Christianity. I imagine they liked the idea of religion and gospel being revealed in its “fullness” and “entirety” by God, that every answer they ever needed was written in the Book of Mormon or Bible, or revealed to a modern prophet. For some people, having all the great answers to all the great questions of life already figured out for them is comforting.

It was for me when I was a kid. I was happy to have the answers to

Is there a God?
Is there an afterlife?
What does life mean?
What am I supposed to do with life?
Am I significant?

The Mormon versions of these questions are standard working material for every missionary. (I’m probably paraphrasing):

Who am I?
Why am I here?
Where am I going?

These are common questions for human beings. And if you are asking them, and two 19- or 20-year-old boys come to your door saying they know the answers, you might just listen. More likely, though, you’ll think they’re a couple of brainwashed cult members, and you’ll send them away, slam the door on them, or sic your dog on them. Either way.

A whole lot of people simply can’t believe that a couple of missionaries or any other person, institution, or book has those answers.

I certainly don’t. But I did. Why?

[to be continued, of couse]

No comments: